SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-11, 03:34 AM   #1
monkey

Default Removing shock and want to tidy up preload adjusters questions.

This is for my K5 GSXR750.

I've read the Haynes and it appears to be easy enough (famous last words) to remove the shock. I need to do something about the slightly chewed and sticky compression adjuster.

Whilst it's off I'm going to get the parrafin out and give it all a little clean in there.

Whilst I have the shock out I'd also like to clean up and paint the rusty preload adjuster and lock ring (if it's called that). I haven't got a C spanner but I have got some very good grips which should do it.

How do I go about compressing the spring to remove the adjuster and locking ring? I've read that sometimes simply unscrewing them can bugger threads up. Is this usually the case under the bike's weight and do I in fact have nothing to worry about? I've got penetrating oil, spray grease and ACF 50 to use.

Any ideas or proper knowledge will be gratefully accepted.

Thanking you in advance.
Old 05-02-11, 05:48 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing shock and want to tidy up preload adjusters questions

Clean all sh*t off with kero and a toothbrush, wipe clean or blow it off with air, then unscrew them as far as they'll go. To take spring off there are collets under bottom spring keeper, maybe you'll be able to get them out or maybe there is more preload than you can remove with collars. If so you will need spring compressors.

If the threads are clean you are fine to adjust them (they'd be pretty sh*t adjusters otherwise). A lot of people chew the rings up because of poor tools.

For comp adjuster don't try and remove it, just try work at it with oil and patience.
Old 05-02-11, 07:36 PM   #3
monkey

Thanks YC. All taken in. Here's the offending adjuster:

I was going to dremel a nice deep slot in the adjuster but due to the current position of it I think I'll have to re-think that.

Should these adjusters be sourceable on their own?

Would it help free off the adjuster if I place the shock in front of a decent fan heater and use a manual impact driver?

EDIT: Not a manual impact driver I mean an ipact screwdriver like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/14-Pc-Impact-S...item3a62b20443

Last edited by monkey; 05-02-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 08:44 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

As Chris says clean the threads carefully, but first turn the preload up a few turns and make sure you don't trap any grit under the collar, make sure the thread is properly clean before trying to remove the spring - there may not be enough movement in the collar to loosen the spring enough to remove it without compressing the spring a bit anyway.

DO NOT try any kind of impact tool on a brass screw - it will end in failure.

Soak it in whatever your penetrant of choice is and then try to unscrew it witha close fitting driver, buy/borrow/steal*/improvise something that fits well or the chance of success is pathetically small. A few, light, taps on the screw head may be of assistance in shocking the threads open, but again the screw is brass and thus will not stand much in the way of physicality.

The screw won't be available seperately, and unless damaged will not be removable without dismantling the shock anyway.

*Public Service Announcement:

Do not steal things, it's very bad form and not the sort of behaviour that a gentleman should involve himself in.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 03:30 PM   #5
monkey

Default Re: Removing shock and want to tidy up preload adjusters questions.

Oh pants. In that case I am going to go with plan Z. Take the adjuster out. I've got nitrogen, a regulator, gauges and a quick coupler. I propose to measure and release the nitrogen charge. Then I should be able to point the silver part upward and remove it without losing oil.

All being well I can then hopefully deal with the offending adjuster and refit it.

I don't think I'll bother with tidying the preload adjusters. I'll just give it all a good clean.
Old 06-02-11, 03:55 PM   #6
monkey

Alternatively is there anywhere I can find out how much and what weight of oil is in there so I can go to town?
Old 06-02-11, 08:20 PM   #7
monkey

I've only gone and done it. Yeeeeeees.

Here's the story:

I dug an old manifold and lines out of the garage, dug out some shiny new gauges, fitted them to the manifold, dug out the quick coupler, fitted the regulator to the OFN, tested and made all leak proof, lugged the lot up the stairs to my flat, set it all up in the kitchen, struggled to get off the scrader valve cap, went to fit the quick coupler and bugger me it was the wrong size So I thought I'd have one more go at shifting it with a screwdriver and hey presto the bloody thing moved. Thanks Murphy. I think the adjuster may have been turned past stop rather than actually being seized.

Now I'm left with a slightly chewed adjuster which I think I'll try and tidy up a little.