SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-08, 09:44 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Thinking of reverting back to stock shock ...

Got a ZX636 shock on my curvy road bike. I think it is a massive improvement over the OE shock especially as I am no whippet

Anyway, although the rear end was greatly improved, this just really highlighted the inadequacy of the front (which is still standard)!! ... at least when the front AND rear were plops, the bike was balanced. I now have a taught rear and a loose front ... and it is the feel from the front that generates 85% of my riding confidence ... as far as I am concerned - within reason - the rear can do what it wants as long as I know what the front is up to ...

I can't really justify spending out on the front end to be honest, but I really don't like the unbalanced feeling the bike gives me now!

Anyone else reverted back to stock or always just done the front too?

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 17-09-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 17-09-08, 09:49 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of reverting back to stock shock ...

You have the skill and parts knowledge to do the front stupidly cheaply/quickly I imagine.....just get it done
Old 17-09-08, 09:50 PM   #3
sinbad

Try running the rear with the ZX shock and an intentionally appallingly low tyre pressure? Seems like less effort.

I reckon the stiffer springs and oil fork mod is one of the cheapest to do no? You're obviously competent enough, I'm surprised you haven't done it already, just because you can.
Old 17-09-08, 09:55 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
You have the skill and parts knowledge to do the front stupidly cheaply/quickly I imagine.....just get it done
Emulators are what about a ton aren't they? Would be silly not to do new seals at the same time too (although the seals are actually relatively new) and some new oil ... and some new springs ... we are looking at £250 here aren't we?

These days I only ride it now and then, and when I do it is just for a jolly; it seems hard to justify that sort of expense on it ...

Even a set of progressive springs are what £80? so with some oil and postage, £100 all in? ...

I suppose rather than the hassle of reverting back, I could take all the preload and damping off the 636 shock to make that horrid and we are back to how it felt with the OE shock!!!
Old 17-09-08, 09:58 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
Try running the rear with the ZX shock and an intentionally appallingly low tyre pressure? Seems like less effort.

I reckon the stiffer springs and oil fork mod is one of the cheapest to do no? You're obviously competent enough, I'm surprised you haven't done it already, just because you can.
Yeah just thought about setting the ZX shock up badly rather than taking it off!!

When the bike was stock, it was a bit soggy, but predictable ... I really didn't care ...

But I had this ZX shock that had been sat on the shelf for ages and decided to make use of it ...

And this is where we are ....

I might keep an eye out for some 2nd hand springs if someone is upgrading to emulators from progressive ...
Old 17-09-08, 10:23 PM   #6
sv650k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Emulators are what about a ton aren't they? Would be silly not to do new seals at the same time too (although the seals are actually relatively new) and some new oil ... and some new springs ... we are looking at £250 here aren't we?

These days I only ride it now and then, and when I do it is just for a jolly; it seems hard to justify that sort of expense on it ...

Even a set of progressive springs are what £80? so with some oil and postage, £100 all in? ...

I suppose rather than the hassle of reverting back, I could take all the preload and damping off the 636 shock to make that horrid and we are back to how it felt with the OE shock!!!

aye for what you have said ther your looking at around £250 ish if you cant do the front 2 make it good all round then if you feel its better all over with the standrd rear shock then thats wot i would do fair enought you say its better at the rear with the zx shock it but worse on the front i would defo rather have the standard back in if thats the case!

Old 17-09-08, 10:34 PM   #7
St0rmer66

I paid £62 delivered for Hagon Progressive fork springs and Hagon fork oil. I think ordering from Hagon directly made it slightly cheaper than that too (which I found out afterwards). The bike is fantastic now, I find myself wanting to ride it a lot more. On a ride out with my dad and 2 uncles, I absolutely hammered them on the twisties; Uncle on GSX750F.. couldn't come near, Dad on ZX9R couldn't keep up with the pace, Uncle on Thunderace kept up on the straights due to having double the horsepower but I lost him in the corners.

Night and day improvement over stock (with ZX10R shock as well).
Old 17-09-08, 11:27 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'd just add some heavy oil and preload on stock front... would be a very quick and bodgetastic way to improve them...
Old 17-09-08, 11:33 PM   #9
chakraist

Mate, weren't you going to buy a porsche or a duke? And haven't you just got a new kart? :P
Old 18-09-08, 08:31 AM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraist View Post
Mate, weren't you going to buy a porsche or a duke? And haven't you just got a new kart? :P
Its not the actual money as such, its the justifiability!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rmer66 View Post
I paid £62 delivered for Hagon Progressive fork springs and Hagon fork oil. I think ordering from Hagon directly made it slightly cheaper than that too (which I found out afterwards). The bike is fantastic now, I find myself wanting to ride it a lot more. On a ride out with my dad and 2 uncles, I absolutely hammered them on the twisties; Uncle on GSX750F.. couldn't come near, Dad on ZX9R couldn't keep up with the pace, Uncle on Thunderace kept up on the straights due to having double the horsepower but I lost him in the corners.

Night and day improvement over stock (with ZX10R shock as well).
I could justify £62 at the old girl ... but what spring rate are the progressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd just add some heavy oil and preload on stock front... would be a very quick and bodgetastic way to improve them...
I have got 13.5w oil in there at the mo ...