SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-09, 10:21 PM   #1
tommy-d

Default sv650 shims and valve clearances

Hi there i have just bought a sv650s k3 with 19500 miles on the clock two week ago the mileage is now 20500 as i attended the gp meet at donnington on sunday, now i'm back home i am going to service the bike, oil, filter and spark plugs. But also i have noticed that the bike seems a little tappety especially when deaccelerating with the engine between 3 and 4 thousand rev's i've had a nc29 before this bike and was wondering if its just with it being a v twin but i am also curious weather the bike has had its shim service which in the haynes manual says should be done at 17,000 miles. The bike came with no service history so i can't determine weather it has been done or not. Was going to take the cam cover off it and measure the valves clearance's soon but was just wondering anyone else been in this situation? and also if the shims need to be changed how much would i expect to pay at a garage? as i'm sure i could do it myself but just for that extra piece of mind.

Many thanks Tom
Old 28-07-09, 06:57 AM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650 shims and valve clearances

Good morning.

Valve clearances on the SV should be checked & adjusted if necessary every 15000 miles.
The short answer is that some engines will need their clearances adjusting at this mileage & some wont.

Expect to pay between 2 & 4 hours labour, dependant on whether the clearances need adjusting on both cylinders. Plus coolant & tensioner gaskets, & of course shims.

To do it yourself, you will need a decent torque wrench, on top of the above parts. Also if you get it wrong you could end up knackering your motor.
What some folks do is to check the clearances themselves, which is relatively easy, & then if any need adjusting book it in with a garage. It would mean stripping the bike & putting it together again, but it could save you a fair few bob, especially if they don't need adjusting at all.

Cheers.