SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-07-09, 10:31 AM   #101
speedplay

Default Re: Continental Tyres *Updated*

I had a pair of conti sport attacks fitted to the daytona last weekend.
Ive done about 200 miles on them so far and the first 50 of those were scrubbing them in.

Even when first fitted they felt 'planted'.
Scrubbing in was no problem either.
Confidence is inspired on these and no matter how far I lean them over they seem to stick like sh*t to a blanket!
Time will tell how long they last though as I know that grip comes at a price.

I paid £170 for the pair, I know there are cheaper places out there but I needed them that day.
Old 18-08-09, 03:52 PM   #102
snailofsatan

i've got a set of continental road attacks on my k6 sv650N and they seem to be all good so far!!

Nothing scary on my scrubbing in with a fair bit of speedy leaning and they seem nice in the rain so far.. I'm hoping they last as long as people are reporting..

I've had a bandit 600 before this bike with bridgestone 020's on everytime, and this bike with these tyres handles soooo much better on the corners but that might just be the bike

thumbs up to road attacks so far!!
Old 18-08-09, 11:19 PM   #103
T.M

I had em on my last bike and i loved em. they felt brilliant and always grippy, evan in the wet. I wouldnt use anything else now. I paid £155 for my last pair IIRC
Old 24-10-09, 06:26 PM   #104
speedplay

*A bit of an update on the sport attacks I am using*

3500 miles later and still going strong.
I thought I would have had to replace at least the rear by now but its fine.
The rear is little squared off but thats it (I am puting this down to the motorway miles I have put in going to Soho and back and the few times I used it to commute to Redditch and Birmingham about 1000 miles or so).
I have done all sorts of riding with them (bar trackdays) and they have been great.
In the warm and dry the lean angle seems endless (conti claim 50.8 degrees) and inspiring.
Grip in the dry is spectacular and the tyre gives great feedback and is so predictable.
In the cold and damp as with all tyres, I took the first 10 miles or so fairly steady.
These tyres warm up so quickly its unbelievable.
They still grip so well in the damp but I am guessing thats down to the sticky compound (even feel sticky if you run your fingers over them).
I havnt tried them in the rain yet as to be honest, I dont want to take the bike out in the rain unless I really have to!

So, it looks like when Its time to replace the rear, I will again be using the sport attack.
Old 26-05-10, 01:38 PM   #105
snailofsatan

I've still been loving my Road Attacks and have just ordered some replacements in the shape of CONTINENTAL ROAD ATTACK 2s!!

check it:

Quote:
Features:-

· Compound technology provides even more grip on wet roads

· Continental Traction Skin Technology for safety

· New design means greater dynamics

Hanover, October 2009. The ContiRoadAttack 2 from Europe's leading tyre manufacturer Continental is a new development for sports bikes and sports touring bikes. Continental's development engineers in Korbach in the German federal state of Hesse have adapted the tyre tread and compound to accommodate the latest findings in tyre technology, which means that this tyre achieves more grip on wet roads and more on dry asphalt than its popular predecessor. Handling and mileage performance has also been increased.

These results were achieved through a range of design measures in tyre development. Continental Traction Skin Technology, for example, uses a special coating in the tyre mould to prevent the release agents required when 'baking' the tyre in the mould from remaining on the tyre afterwards. The running-in time needed for the tyre is therefore safe and extremely short. This makes the new ContiRoadAttack 2 the first tyre to offer complete riding safety as soon as it is fitted.

The new tyre offers a further safety benefit on sports bikes and sports touring bikes, thanks to its 'Continuous Compound Technology' - the combination of a soft compound on the sidewall with harder rubber across the middle of the tread increases safety during cornering, without having to sacrifice high mileage performance. The use of 'Black Chili Compound' containing silica and carbon black, as used in the racing world, means faster heat build-up, something that is important for grip, especially on wet roads. The tyre structure was also redesigned to achieve greater riding dynamics and grip. This involved marrying the steel belt casing with the special tyre contour to further enhance safe handling and precise steering response.

The new ContiRoadAttack 2 will be available from the tyre trade at the start of the 2010 season. Continental will be producing the tyre in six sizes for the front axle and seven for the rear. Approvals have already been obtained for over 250 bikes (from manufacturers including BMW, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha).

Last edited by snailofsatan; 26-05-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 24-03-11, 09:43 PM   #106
phi-dan

Bit of a thread resurrection, but better than duplicating I guess

I've just taken off my Road Attacks after about 11,000 miles. They were on the bike when I got it, but they looked pretty new then, so I guess it's fair to say that I put just about all the miles on them.

The back was worn mostly square (too much commuting, not enough playing) across the centre section of the tread, but hadn't actually hit the wear indicators although not far off. The front, which had reached the indicators, was still a nice round profile.
Both tyres had started to crack in between the tread blocks, as reported by other people in a different thread, and this may have been the cause of the general losing of pressure in the front that I experienced over the last 6 months or so. The back stayed firm, but did have a healthy dose of sealant added after a puncture needed repairing.
So long as both tyres had the right amount of air in them, they gave a consistent grip / feel throughout the life of the tyre.
They performed excellantly come rain or shine. The only reason I haven't put another set on is because I picked up a pair of Diablo Strada's at clearance prices.
Old 09-05-11, 12:37 PM   #107
Caddy2000

Just fitted Roadattack 2's and they're great!
Did 725 miles over 4 days and I'm getting used to them. I had Z6's before and they feel very different, the bike doesn't feel like I'm pushing it too far, still very composed in corners.
Old 04-02-12, 11:44 PM   #108
Spoonie

I've tried both types

Conti Road Attacks are everything you expect from a tyre, biased a little towards dry riding, something like Road Pilots clearly have twice as many grooves to channel water but they are still capable in the wet, when they are up to temp you can even lean almost all the way over when it's getting wet, as long as it's not ****ing it down or the road isn't greasy.

Conti Road Attack 2s are the same as the originals, the tread pattern has gone from curvy to pointy (strangely similar to what Suzuki did with the SV but back to the topic) the main difference is that the Road Attack 2s are grippy from the start. It's the only tyre that I know of where you can practically ignore the 100 mile take it easy while you remove the tyre release agent period. Apart from that the tyre feels the same.

Everyone knows new tyres feel brillant, you have a proper profile as opposed to a worn one, so the bike behaves like it should in every corner. Which is why the ready to ride texture on Conit 2 is brilliant, you get to use all of the tyre exactly how you want when it's at it's best. But you do pay £20 to £30 more per tyre compared to the original, so it's your call.
Old 22-06-12, 05:44 PM   #109
Spoonie

Bit more of a Conti Road Attack 2 review

Look on the website and they babble on about black chilli and some other thing that helps in the wet. I'm naturally a cynical person, so ignored it all.

Anyway, after a two long days on the bike in wet conditions I noticed the tyre texture had changed on the portion of the tyres that I had been using. Rubber that had been contacting the ground felt more like bluetack than normal rubber, it felt alot stickier than usual, and the only reason that I could contribute to it was the wet weather usage.

Going back to there website to work out why I re-read the bit about "activated silica compound", turns out this stuff actually works and will make the tyre stickier in the wet, which is a pretty neat feature and fairly confidence inspiring.