SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-15, 12:41 AM   #4151
mattSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Hey, no worries, no offence taken ��. I think for the money, Planet X offer a great all round package - there are a lot of other great bikes out there, but to get an equivalent carbon frame with similar running gear and finishing set I reckon you are usually looking at paying 30-50% more. I managed to get an SL Pro with full Ultegra on our old C2W scheme - actual cost to me was £14 per month over 3years, with nothing to pay at the end ��. Next round I went for a Boardman FS team Mountain Bike, ordered it the day before the HMRC rules changed so cost me about the same.

Not sure what the weight of your winter sh1tter is but I think my Planet X comes in at about 7.1kg. Feel light as feck compared to the old 531c double butted frame I built up with a mix of Shimano 600 / campag and Mavic open 4cds - proper old school ��
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 12:11 PM   #4152
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Phhh, when does winter finish?

I got all kitted up to go out, knowing it would be cold I had lots of light layers on, just didn't realise my street would be sheet ice, I nearly fell just walking out the door, so the sensible option was taken, so kit off and back in the house

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 12:32 PM   #4153
pookie

Stick to the main roads as well as I found out January this year I also forgot to switch to my winter wheels which didnt help
No snow down here but I have a pair of Ice spiker tyres waiting to be used
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 12:51 PM   #4154
MattCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Phhh, when does winter finish?

I got all kitted up to go out, knowing it would be cold I had lots of light layers on, just didn't realise my street would be sheet ice, I nearly fell just walking out the door, so the sensible option was taken, so kit off and back in the house

Maybe a wind/mag/fluid trainer?
Old 13-12-15, 03:11 PM   #4155
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I might have to get myself a trainer to get more miles in. I'm down at my parents house and I've just been told about The St Andrews Hospice Sportive thats happening on my local roads. I know I'm not even close to being able to complete it right now... But I'd love to get myself to a level that I can...

Last edited by carelesschucca; 13-12-15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 13-12-15, 03:53 PM   #4156
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
But I'd love to get myself to a level that I can...
Just keep chipping away at it. You'll be surprised. Also the standard of fitness on sportives varies massively. There will be guys and girls who are faster than you, but there will also be people who are slower.

Also you wont notice your fitness steadily improving it sort of creeps up on you and then you find yourself flying after a while.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 07:49 PM   #4157
Dipper

Quote:
I might have to get myself a trainer to get more miles in. I'm down at my parents house and I've just been told about The St Andrews Hospice Sportive thats happening on my local roads. I know I'm not even close to being able to complete it right now... But I'd love to get myself to a level that I can...
You've got 4 months so there's no reason why not, as Fizz says you wont be the quickest or slowest, if work on building up the distance you'll be surprised how fast you improve.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 08:17 PM   #4158
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I'm able to do about 20 odd miles in about 90 minutes at the moment but any more and I'm blowing out my ****. Suppose that's not bad for only having had a bike since the start of October.

I don't know the actual route for the Sportive but the profile scares me as I recognize it right up to the red dot (its about a mile from my house)

I do think this is something to motivate me... I can see me having to do some major shifts so I can get more half days to get out there...

Old 13-12-15, 09:02 PM   #4159
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Thats pretty good mileage and timewise, especially at this time of year.

Just remember, build yourself up to the distance in small increments, IIRC recommended is no more than 10% increase in mileage per week. ( I might be wrong on that )

What I'm trying to say if push to go to far or to fast to soon, you'll do yourself and injury, most probably a knee related injury, I've seen that a few times.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-15, 09:36 PM   #4160
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I'm all over the place with mileages, Since last a week past Thursday I've managed 130km, the weather is the biggest issue. I so wanted to get out today but ice and two wheels doesn't mix.

Once again I've gotta say you guys have been brilliant. Bar giving me ideas of buying new toys already. I'm looking at this right now. Only £45 a month

On a different note I've been advised to get 'In search of Robert Millar' and 'Rough Ride' to keep me entertained.

Last edited by carelesschucca; 13-12-15 at 09:38 PM.