SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-06, 03:19 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default Why do you ride motorcycles (emotions)

Ok.. im currently sat in the office, sun shining in.. and my favorite rock song of 05 playing on the radio... desperately missing my bike.

The emotions of being on one.. feeling the freedom.. accelerating hard... feeling it in your soul.

The wail of the engine as you hang on to each gear till the very end. Corner approaching, hard on the brakes... back end skipping around, tip it in... clip the apex.. road clear, hard on the gas.. clutchless up the box.. 2, 3, 4.. next bend...

Ohhh do it miss it. A complete escape from the stresses of modern life.

I cant WAIT to get my license back... just got to remember to take it a little steadier next time around.

So, i pose the question.... if you had to stop riding, for what ever reason.. what would you miss the most about 2 wheels? What emotions do you think you'd experience as withdrawl symptoms set in.
Old 31-03-06, 03:25 PM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: Why do you ride motorcycles (emotions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown

So, i pose the question.... if you had to stop riding, for what ever reason.. what would you miss the most about 2 wheels? What emotions do you think you'd experience as withdrawl symptoms set in.
I'd miss filtering through heavy traffic and probably suffer with road rage whilst some leather clad biker passed me when i'm stuck in a traffic jam
Old 31-03-06, 03:32 PM   #3
GC-SV

I feel you summed it up for me:

To escape the pressures of modern life.
Its probably one of the few things I do that I am not constantly thinking about work and what has to be done etc.

The freedom of the open road along with that rush in acceleration, even though I might add that I am currently restricted to 33bhp. But not for long another 2000 miles, get it in for a service and a derestriction - roll on.

Wanted to take it out this afternoon but, as usual, its pi$$ing it down, typical.

Maybe Sunday (few beers tomorrow afternoon)
Old 31-03-06, 03:34 PM   #4
Peter Henry

Nah,,, all these romantic notions about what being a bike owner means to one. the self expression of a free spirit.

I still ride a bike as it was proving ever more difficult to park my donkey down here in Marbella. :P :P
Old 31-03-06, 04:02 PM   #5
The Basket

I would miss riding on sunny days...the freedom and the need to concentrate can be very liberating.

I wonder if it's something to do with the helmet. Put it on and suddenly you are a Knight of the road!!! Mr Mild mannered suddenly becomes the racer, hidden by his visor against the world.
Old 31-03-06, 04:16 PM   #6
Warthog

Hmm today I had to carry a 1.2 m fluorescent light home from B and Q in a thunderstorm. A car would have been useful hehe. (p.s. any idea how I did it? :P)

I think I like the feeling of exclusivness, just being able to filter past traffic jams, accelerate faster, and being out in contact with nature more. And the fraternity.
Old 31-03-06, 04:26 PM   #7
Ceri JC

2 worst things would be:

1. The constant feeling of envy, even when it's lashing rain, when a bike filters by and I'm stuck in traffic in a cage.

2. Missing the (only) thing that allows me to get into the state of mind whereby everything other than the job in hand is put from my mind. I do not think about rows, debt, work, obligations, etc. when I'm riding.

Interestingly, neither of these things have anything to with speed, acceleration, image, etc. many of which are things non-bikers seem to assume are my primary motivations for riding.
Old 31-03-06, 04:29 PM   #8
Jay

I rate my bike for all the reasons above, freedom, feeling of acceleration, no bloody traffic jams...

But I love it for that moment of grace when everything hooks up and you get three of four bends (car weaves ) all together and there's no space in your head for anything other than getting the angles, power and position right.
Old 31-03-06, 05:07 PM   #9
K

What would I miss...

... giving my heart and soul to a machine. Connecting with an inannimate object in such a way that it truely comes to life when we are together.
Trusting, this strange creature I create each time I ride, with my life - and having it pay me back in kind.

God I sound like some kind of machanised hippy!
Old 31-03-06, 05:27 PM   #10
kwak zzr

its just the petrol head in me! always have rode and alway will.