SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-06, 07:12 AM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default SHOCK, HORROR!!!

While I was browsing on here the other night, Police, Camera, Action was on in the background. No, I don't really watch that kind of programme, but the TV remote was on the other side of the room and I was too comfy to move

Anyhow, I just caught one of the little snippets in which Alistair Whatsisname was saying 'and this motorcyclist was clocked at speeds of up to nearly 100mph, WITH A PILLION'

My initial reaction was 'Yeah? And?'

My reaction this morning is STILL 'Yeah? And?'

Not in response to the speed, but in response to the tone in his voice when he said 'With a pillion' So what was he saying..............that if the guy had been riding alone it would have been ok to do that speed? From what I saw the guy wasn't doing stupid over-takes or acting recklessly, he was just riding quickly on a road with plenty of vision and little traffic.

I make no bones about it, Pete and I like to scoot along fairly quickly He WON'T pull stupid stunts, he will NEVER overtake on solid white lines or coming up to blind bends like so many we see, but on the open road we like to go as fast as the conditions and the bike will allow. I know this. I know how Pete likes to ride, and if I didn't like it too I have the simple choice of NOT getting on the back of the bike. But it got me wondering. How many of you compromise the way you ride because you are carrying a pillion, or how many of you won't take a pillion purely because you don't want to have to compromise your riding?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 07:23 AM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

if i don't compromise my riding i normally get punched
Old 06-07-06, 07:54 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Liz complains that I don't go fast enough when she's pillion

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:03 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Depends, I'm always aware that I'm responsible for someone else appart from me (Though I'm quite keen on not having an accident when it's just me!) But out of town I'll still go pretty quick with a pillion, in town I slow down a bit just because the extra weight and "random movement of pillion factor" make such a big difference when filtering through traffic.

Certainly I've done over the ton with passengers
Old 06-07-06, 08:04 AM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

I am more cautious when Kate is one the back - Mainly because otherwise, when we stop, she always gives me disapproving looks/rants about not sticking to the speed limits etc I'm not really a fan of riding with a pillion - as a form of transport to get out of London for the day/weekend it's great but no way near as enjoyable as riding solo. What I hate the most is the way my wrists ache after all the braking with the extra weight.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:23 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
What I hate the most is the way my wrists ache after all the braking with the extra weight.
I have a mental image of your pillion sitting on your arms.......

I always ride a bit slower with a pillion unless specifically urged to go faster by the sound of the pillion screaming loudly
Old 06-07-06, 08:41 AM   #7
Peter Henry

My son is the only one that I take as pillion and he is a great passenger. I go fast in what I consider to be safe situations but generally am a lot more conservative.

I do this in order that he can look and learn and not pick up bad habits from me. I see it as part of his learning curve as he is very keen to have bikes himself.
Old 06-07-06, 09:11 AM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
As long as you take your time lad and don't reach the destination before her .

Old 06-07-06, 09:14 AM   #9
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
As long as you take your time lad and don't reach the destination before her .

Absolutely
Old 06-07-06, 09:51 AM   #10
Lou M

I do tend to slow down more, but the pillion is usually my daughter. She won't go out now as she says I'm too boring and go too slow.
But I'm afraid that with her on the back it won't change as my natural instinct won't let me go any faster - try as hard as I might

BUT, she is now asking about how you ride a bike (she's 13) so I think we'll be looking for a 50cc when she's 16, but not a scoot as she's 5 foot 9 already!

Nutty x