SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-07, 11:27 PM   #1
Fearg

Post White Van Man

I was riding home this afternoon enjoying the dry(ish) roads. Its the best part of 50 miles for the journey. So I'm about 5 mins from home having just overtaken a few vehicles along a straight and open bit of road. Perfectly normal, nothing to upset any of them as far as I know. Half a mile after clearing the last vehicle I come to a large roundabout connecting the single carriageway I'm on to a dual-carriageway running across my direction of travel. The roundabout has traffic control lights which are green as I approach then just in that split second decision time they go amber. I'm in no rush, no need to take risks so I grab the anchors and stop neatly on the line. Next thing I hear is this voice shouting 'Oi' I look left and there's white van man, the last vehicle I over took has joined me at the lights. Naturally I think 'sh*t what did I do to upset him?', but wait, he shouts again 'That sounds f*ckin lovely mate' a hidden grin spreads across my face, I nod in approval. I look to knock the sv into neutral and give him the thumbs up but the lights are just changing back to green so I decide to give him another chance to hear the v-twin at its best. So giving it a fist full of throttle I tear away from the lights leaving him to savour the moment whilst I disappear into the distance.

Old 20-02-07, 11:34 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: White Van Man

nice! just keep your distance from him.
Old 22-02-07, 11:53 AM   #3
Tomcat

Nice story mate. Made me grin !

I stoppped at lights once, and some older school kids were crossing, they came up to me (about 7 of them) and I thought 'Oh sh*t what they goona do'

They told me my bike sounded fab, and looked nice, and gave me a smartie! I chortled off chewing my sweetie feeling good with the world
Old 22-02-07, 05:20 PM   #4
Fearg

Are you sure it was a smartie? How long did the high last?
Old 22-02-07, 06:01 PM   #5
sinbad

I was one today (haha). Hired a bleedin great hulk of a VW Transporter for a trip to sheffield and back. AWFUL machines!! You can see why they get so ****ed off at people in (relatively rocket-like Fiesta 1.2s and so on). I could barely handle one day in one of those. It was a 56 plater too. Slowest, spongiest, rolliest, dullest thing I've ever driven, still drank the diesel though.
Old 22-02-07, 08:27 PM   #6
ArtyLady

He was probably a biker, my hubby is a nice WVM - and a biker
Old 22-02-07, 10:08 PM   #7
Fearg

Quite possibly, I haven't drawn any conclusions on the character of WVM simply that he was a man in a white van.

Many seem to associate a certain stigma to the WVM I guess I was, in a round and about kind of way, pointing that very thing that they aren't all bad.

Silver seems to be the new white anyway
Old 23-02-07, 03:23 PM   #8
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearg View Post

Many seem to associate a certain stigma to the WVM I guess I was, in a round and about kind of way, pointing that very thing that they aren't all bad.
I'll second that (Im biased though!)
Nice to hear a good WVM anecdote for a change
Old 23-02-07, 04:14 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I was one today (haha). Hired a bleedin great hulk of a VW Transporter for a trip to sheffield and back. AWFUL machines!! You can see why they get so ****ed off at people in (relatively rocket-like Fiesta 1.2s and so on). I could barely handle one day in one of those. It was a 56 plater too. Slowest, spongiest, rolliest, dullest thing I've ever driven, still drank the diesel though.
I actually quite like driving vans... it's something different.

Always appreciate the difference, don't curse it.
Old 23-02-07, 05:25 PM   #10
Bear

I've just had 4 weeks driving around in a big blue van (Long wheelbase high top VW Transporter) and it was HELL! Driving round some of the nicest roads I've ever seen in wales in a beast that wallows through corners and struggles with the very concept of acceleration. Dropping it off tonight to pick up my SV again. CAN"T WAIT!!!