SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-09, 04:28 PM   #1
Smoggy

Default K6 running on one cylinder.

Nearly home from work today, slowing to a stop after doing 30-50 nonstop for 3 or 4 miles and I noticed the bike sounded different, then as I slowed further and changed down I noticed the revs were idling at around 1000, followed by the bike cutting out.

Started it again and limped it the last bit of large road at max speed of about 40, then pushed it the rest.

It'll run and turn over if I hold the throttle open, just very badly.

I'm, guessing this is a case of a cylinder getting no spark? I can smell fuel on the exhaust and it just sounded half arsed, never actually heard a bike running with misfires so cant really gather much myself from the sound.
Its got a fender extender fitted and well coated in ACF50..Aswell as no rain today so I wouldn't have thought its water in the front plug?

Going to go have a bit of a pokey feely now..

Edit, scratch all that.
Just had a quick play... Definitely the front.
Bikes really vibey.
The down pipe barely gets warm in comparison to the rear when just running it for a couple of minutes, and the exhaust stinks of fuel.

Any advice appreciated,
Mat

Last edited by Smoggy; 10-02-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 05:24 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: K6 suddernly not running.

I had my SV play up in the wet even with a fenda extenda fitted, it only did it once, but I was riding through torrential rain.

Personally, even if its just to eliminate it, take the front spark plug out and check theres no water in there, clean it up if it is and then refit the HT lead and make sure its on properly. You should feel it pop into place when you refit it.

Failing that you'll be down to working out why its not firing on the front cylinder and I'm not technical enough to help you with that...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 05:43 PM   #3
Baph

Stick it in dealer service mode. That will tell you error codes for such things as "no spark to front plug" etc.
Old 10-02-09, 06:35 PM   #4
Smoggy

Tried a new plug, no spark.

Brilliant.

Time to figure it this dealer mode.
Old 10-02-09, 06:47 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy View Post
Time to figure it this dealer mode.
If you search on the forum there's pictures showing where the connector is. Look for the TPS adjustment guide (done by independantphoto I think).

Basically, both seats off, look at the plastic between the seats. On the clutch side of the bike there will be a white connector somewhere down between the seats with a black boot on it. Take the boot off, join the pins that are next to one another - and only those pins - using a little wire. Turn the ignition on to see the error code.
Old 10-02-09, 07:39 PM   #6
Smoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
If you search on the forum there's pictures showing where the connector is. Look for the TPS adjustment guide (done by independantphoto I think).

Basically, both seats off, look at the plastic between the seats. On the clutch side of the bike there will be a white connector somewhere down between the seats with a black boot on it. Take the boot off, join the pins that are next to one another - and only those pins - using a little wire. Turn the ignition on to see the error code.
Done that, no error code shown.
I'll give that another try tomorrow after getting some thinner wire from work though just to be sure.

Pulled off the two wires(red/white, blue/white) from the back of the coil and got a multimeter on them. With a probe on each connector and the bike running I'm getting an alternating voltage from 0 to 12, so I'm guessing the problem is with coil..?
Old 10-02-09, 07:40 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

tried spraying everyhting with something like WD40 to remove any water? check the leads themselves.
Old 10-02-09, 07:54 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy View Post
Done that, no error code shown.
I'll give that another try tomorrow after getting some thinner wire from work though just to be sure.

Pulled off the two wires(red/white, blue/white) from the back of the coil and got a multimeter on them. With a probe on each connector and the bike running I'm getting an alternating voltage from 0 to 12, so I'm guessing the problem is with coil..?
If there was a fault with the coil, this would be shown on the dash display. Same as if a fuel injector wasn't squirting.

Did you see c00 (with the engine running)? It'd of been in the bottom left corner of the LCD.
Old 10-02-09, 10:28 PM   #9
Smoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
tried spraying everyhting with something like WD40 to remove any water? check the leads themselves.
First thing we did, and have continued to do.
Still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
If there was a fault with the coil, this would be shown on the dash display. Same as if a fuel injector wasn't squirting.

Did you see c00 (with the engine running)? It'd of been in the bottom left corner of the LCD.
Yep I had the c00, no error codes and still the front wont fire.

So, it isn't the plug, it doesn't seem to be water around the plug and I'm getting voltage to the coil, yet no error code relating to the coil..
Old 10-02-09, 10:33 PM   #10
Baph

OK, take the front plug out, hold it against the frame & crank the engine. Leave the bike in dealer service mode when you do this.

Do you get a spark against the frame? Do you get any error codes?

NOTE: Hold the plug carefully, please!