SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-12-12, 07:13 PM   #11
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Incident screens to prevent accident rubbernecking - will they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
Deployment time would be a major factor. Also anyone in anything higher than a large van will still see over them.

Better off spending the money on people to deal with the job faster.
Here here. £2.2m these things have cost us so far. Not to mention the money required to pay people to operate them, vehicles to transport them and storage and maintainence of them!
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 07:37 PM   #12
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Incident screens to prevent accident rubbernecking - will they work?

only thing that would work is it you put up a large barrier down the central reservation for the whole length of the motorway. Then people can't see what else is going on bar what is around them on their side of the road.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 08:40 PM   #13
maviczap
Mega Poster

I can't see them curing rubber necking but it will help preserve the victims dignity from prying eyes and prevent unintentional googling, like my colleague the other week, who passed by a dead cyclist covered in a sheet in the middle of the road.

A grim site that he didn't want to see

Last edited by maviczap; 29-12-12 at 08:41 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 09:21 PM   #14
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Probably will help the situation. But I'm with Mavi they're more for dignity they have use them in motorsport for years in big incident (I mean the red flag accidents)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 09:47 PM   #15
Stenno

Even with the screens you're still going to get people rubber necking because they're thinking:-

a) oh they're those screens I've read about

or

b) they've only used a few screens, must be a small crash

or

c) wow they've used lots of screens, must be a big crash.

As people have already said, the money could have been spent better.
Old 29-12-12, 11:11 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

where is the fun in those things.. i like a good ogle
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 11:58 PM   #17
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
where is the fun in those things.. i like a good ogle
sideboob.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-12, 12:08 PM   #18
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Personally I'd make some very harsh penalties for people who cause crashes on the opposite carriageway from another crash.
And I'd back it up with a big ad campaign about the evils of rubbernecking. Possibly some sort of family hatchback getting squashed into something resembling a badly-opened tin of sardines in tomato sauce because daddy was eyeballing the accident opposite.
Then some sort of environmentalist thing about how much extra fuel you've made everyone burn sat behind your dead, charred corpse. Some sort of catchy tag line like "if you rubber neck at accidents we'll let a polar bear eat your head off"

Then again the inconsiderate *rse who rolled their VW on the M1 yesterday was loaded up with shopping bags... so I'd shoot anyone going to a "50% off!!!" sale at meadowhall for crap they don't need as well.
Old 30-12-12, 12:11 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Here here. £2.2m these things have cost us so far. Not to mention the money required to pay people to operate them, vehicles to transport them and storage and maintainence of them!
2.2 million quid on a bit of harris fencing and some green plastic? Bloody hell it's no wonder we're in debt.
Old 30-12-12, 06:38 PM   #20
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I can't see them curing rubber necking but it will help preserve the victims dignity from prying eyes and prevent unintentional googling, like my colleague the other week, who passed by a dead cyclist covered in a sheet in the middle of the road.

A grim site that he didn't want to see
This. IMO they will give some much needed dignity to victims of accidents and incidents.

Frankly, the cost is irrelevant. We can all find something that's a waste of money...but that would make a whole different thread.

Last edited by Stingo; 30-12-12 at 06:39 PM.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote