SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-06-09, 05:56 PM   #1
malks

Default advice needed- car dealer (bmw)

right just bought me a 3 series compact from a main bmw dealer, some of u might say that was my first problem! but anyway the service I received was brilliant when dealing with paper work etc.... no suprises again.

problem 1 was when I went to pick up the car there were lots of little scratches etc that were due to be taken out. the bumper needed resprayed so it went to the bodyshop, comes back and the marks on the passengers side are still there! I complained at the time and they said bring it back in and it'll get sorted.

problem 2 I drop it off, meaning I was late into work, go back in that that night and they've fixed one scratch but there still 2 noticable marks. so they've not fixed what was meant to be. plus I've asked for them to check a problem with it idleing when warm. so they tell me I'll need to send it back a 2nd time. not the biggest hassle but these are things that should have been right for me picking it up! for a 4yr old car with 27k on the clock I would expect at least one full service if not 2!

now comes the biggest problem, I was looking at the service history (now it's meant to have a full bmw service history) the service book has 3 stamps in it, 1 for the vehicle pdi and 2 stamps for brake fluid checks. one of the brake checks is from a local garage! so it doesn't actually have a proper service history!

so what do u think I should do? I'm thinking I've now got a car I've paid about 1k over the top for (buying from a main dealer) without any of the (supposed) perks. am I wrong thinking I've been screwed, should expect compensation ( cash? free servicing? free tyres? all the above?!?) I'll be going in to see them on Friday looking for some answers!
Old 17-06-09, 05:58 PM   #2
svdemon

Default Re: advice needed- car dealer (bmw)

Did i hear someone saying 7 day cooling off period?
Old 17-06-09, 07:07 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Was it described as full BMW service history?If so ask them to produce it and if they cant ask for your money back.
Old 17-06-09, 07:45 PM   #4
-Ralph-

+1 to above, it it was described as FBMWSH, or if described as BMW Used Approved and the used approved programme says all cars are FBMWSH, then ask them to take the car back and refund, or change for a different car. The latter of which your more likely to get somewhere with easily, but don't take something you don't want 'cos thats what they have in stock, if Used Approved programme I think you should be able to choose stock from the whole country, but don't know where you'd actually stand.

If you are not getting anywhere tell them you will get trading standards involved and do so if they still won't budge.

If it wasn't described as FBMWSH then I think you may be stuffed I'm afraid, buyer beware.

BMW d(st)ealers are generally terrible. The cars sell in millions on the strength of the badge and when you have a waiting list of folk prepared to wait months to from date of order on a new car it doesn't give much incentive to look after your customers. If you don't buy your next car from them, somebody else will.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 17-06-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 17-06-09, 07:52 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Which dealer by the way? I've had to have right fights with Eastern in Edinburgh over warranty claims, and the car only went there because first service I took it into Parks of Hamilton and it came back covered in circular scratches having been washed with a grit laden sponge and the rear bumber damaged where someone had driven into it in the workshop.
Old 17-06-09, 08:15 PM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Which dealer by the way? I've had to have right fights with Eastern in Edinburgh over warranty claims, and the car only went there because first service I took it into Parks of Hamilton and it came back covered in circular scratches having been washed with a grit laden sponge and the rear bumber damaged where someone had driven into it in the workshop.
My Mate does pro detailing on expensive cars and had a similar thing on one of his customers cars.
About a month before, he done this guys 6 series Beemer, full paint correction so its flawless, £650 worth, he took into BMW to be serviced and told them not to wash it under any circumstance for exactly the same reason (communal gritty sponge) anyway they did and he hit the roof.
Full of scratches and swirls.
Bmw had to stump another £750 (charged them more) for it to be redone by my mate.
Moral of the story, just because your paying more money doesnt always mean your getting a better service / product.
Old 18-06-09, 10:20 AM   #7
grh1904

Everything said before + 1.

Go back and ask about the cooiling off period, but make sure you drop in "local trading standards" to the conversation, if they've advertised as "full BMW service history" and it's not got one.................

Also, take a camera and a mate to take photo's, and get you in picture with the salesperson. When asked why state that it's for the letter you're going to write to the local papers asking them to publish an article about the dreadfull service you've had, lack of co-operation, unwilling to carry out actions they AGREED to etc.

Years ago when I was in the RAF one of the lads in our office got a mate of his from the station rugby team (who was also big into photography and had cameras with big lenses etc) to turn up and walk around with said big camera around his neck taking the odd snap. He then tried to get a picture of sales manager etc and when asked why he gave the above scenario.

He was asked to drop the car in for 2 days - returned with problem sorted. (Problem was a full service & MOT was meant to have been carried out at garage expense prior to collecting car - it wasn't).
Old 18-06-09, 12:16 PM   #8
malks

yeah I am giving them a chance to see what they can do before going heavy handed and asking about just handing the car back to them etc...

as said the salesman has said it has a full BMW service history etc.... so if it turns out to not have it, then it was falsely sold.

but I'm just not sure what I should be looking for as way of compensation. wouldni be best just handing it back to the dealer and walk away. or should I stick with it and try and get free servicing tyres etc...
Old 18-06-09, 12:43 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by malks View Post
walk away. or should I stick with it and try and get free servicing tyres etc...
Free servicing and tyres will still leave you with a car that you need to sell later with an incomplete history. You'll have to drop your pants on price because there waill always be another identical one in town with the FBMWSH. I'd hand it back get a refund and walk away.

BTW, I recently realised that main dealers were not servicing either my bike or my car properly (ie: semi-synthetic oils when it should be full, not making adjustments that should be checked, etc) so if they are doing the servicing for free you have no guarantee they will do it properly, they may just do the bare minumum to to say they've done a service and they'll get it in and out of the workshop in 1/2 hour.
Old 18-06-09, 12:49 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

It's a common thing for them to say it has full history, especially if it is an ex fleet car as they've usually been well maintained under contract. Trouble is you often have no way of seeing the paperwork (log book, service manual, etc.) as they will claim it's in the central office or on it's way, yadda yadda. I was caught the same way - my Mundaneo had no service stamps as the sales guy ASSUMED it had been serviced as it was a year old ex fleet car. Luckliy I got mine at well under the book price as the new shape Mondy was just being launched so I didn't make a fuss. If I'd paid a lot for a "premium" brand though I would have!

Good luck.