SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-14, 07:09 PM   #31
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on Dodgy Car Dealer

Why did you buy it then?
At the very least chalk yourself up a big lesson in buying 10 year old corsas, they're all crap.
Another big lesson, used car dealers are all cnuts, if their lips are moving they're lying.

And last one, extra warranties are worth even less than a salesman's handshake unless they're external ones and properly underwritten... do yer research before parting with the extra 70 quid.

Anyway, I reckon you'd be on a sticky wicket with the bank and stuff, you need some proper legal advice as you could be returning it to a new garage on paper which wouldn't help at all.

By time you fooked about you could just fix those bits, you've listed like £100 worth of bits if you just did it with pattern stuff.
Old 15-01-14, 07:26 PM   #32
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I'm sure you've looked into this but I'm not sure a straight 'change of company name' alleviates them of any responsibility, they'd have to liquidate the company and restart it I think (with different owners?)

Well if that program on CCJ sheriffs was accurate, they got a ferrarri back of someone despite him chaning the company name.
I take it you've looked into county court judgements and all that.
Old 15-01-14, 07:26 PM   #33
Dunn-y

I bought it because not only did it look fine cosmetically, both inside and out, but I couldn't see anything wrong with and it after a short test drive couldn't find anything wrong with. Then again it's not like I have any real experience other than doing my lessons of driving a car so probably didn't notice these things at the time.

Like I said most of the stuff is cheap enough but I've never worked on a car before so was adding in the cost of labor to have it done by a garage. From what I've read online and what I've been told is that the clunking could be a clutch bearing and isn't this an engine out job? Which again would add up in labor costs.

But thank you for reminding me that I made a mistake.
Old 15-01-14, 07:28 PM   #34
Dunn-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'm sure you've looked into this but I'm not sure a straight 'change of company name' alleviates them of any responsibility, they'd have to liquidate the company and restart it I think (with different owners?)

Well if that program on CCJ sheriffs was accurate, they got a ferrarri back of someone despite him chaning the company name.
I take it you've looked into county court judgements and all that.
They changed the company name and registered owner.

For the amount of money involved it really isn't worth my time or wasting any more money so I'm just going to take the hit. Lesson learned.
Old 15-01-14, 07:29 PM   #35
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Sorry just re-read about the owners name. Baseball time.

I really do feel for you, I had a very similar experience. Luckily I DID get the thing fixed under warranty but it was a long struggle and the stress was pretty high as it almost put me out of work.
Goodluck, brake pads etc. are cheap but that clutch knock and the drive shafts sounds like the problem one.

Take to internet review sites too - I did this and the company couldn't get on the phone to me fast enough
Old 15-01-14, 07:30 PM   #36
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn-y View Post
They changed the company name and registered owner.

For the amount of money involved it really isn't worth my time or wasting any more money so I'm just going to take the hit. Lesson learned.
If it was over £600 I think you only have to part with £50 to pursue them.
I would (if it's possible) but understand it's ****stressful and I'm sat comfortably at a keyboard.
Old 15-01-14, 07:39 PM   #37
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn-y View Post
I bought it because not only did it look fine cosmetically, both inside and out, but I couldn't see anything wrong with and it after a short test drive couldn't find anything wrong with. Then again it's not like I have any real experience other than doing my lessons of driving a car so probably didn't notice these things at the time.

Like I said most of the stuff is cheap enough but I've never worked on a car before so was adding in the cost of labor to have it done by a garage. From what I've read online and what I've been told is that the clunking could be a clutch bearing and isn't this an engine out job? Which again would add up in labor costs.

But thank you for reminding me that I made a mistake.
clunk might be to do with driveshafts or engine mounts or something other than clutch.
clutch bearing isn't easiest job... gearbox out. Depends how the clunk feels though! Maybe get someone who knows what they're listening for to have a drive in it.

Aye quite a bit of labour, still, first car, what better way to learn!

Well somebody had to say it. Not to be too negative but I'd just chalk it to experience and sort it, maybe small claims court the owner. Like you say you're already up to your nuts in it with the insurance costs and they'll dry bum you even to change to another example of the same car.
Old 15-01-14, 07:57 PM   #38
Dunn-y

I've just found another forum with someone complaining about the same company. But under a name I have not seen before. Looks like they've changed their name 4 times in less than 2 years. Each time to avoid having to pay any repair costs.

If the admins don't mind I can post up the name/s here for everyone?
Old 15-01-14, 08:22 PM   #39
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear this, but as said it might be a great way to learn some car mechanics and save on the heft labour charges at the same time, I guess it depends on how dependant on the car you are

Worth a shot giving Rogue Traders the heads up in case they take it on? If there's more evidence about of their antics it might make for an appealing bit of TV....

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-14, 10:23 PM   #40
Pete7

Suggest a crate of beer, a haynes manual and a couple of mates round for a day should have most of that lot sorted.

Pete