SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-06, 09:26 PM   #1
Jebiah

Default Dodgy dealer?

not sure if im allowed to put the name of the dealer in question so ill leave it blank, Basically i recently put a £250 deposit down on a 2005 plate R6 after looking over it and deciding it was what i wanted, i checked documents service history etc but the salesman said he can't find the log book because everything a bit of a mess at the moment, I thought nothing of it being so excited and all so i signed the bit of paper and payed my deposit.

So a couple of days later (they are sorting out service and general check etc before i get it) the guy phones me saying they have lost the log book can't find it anywhere so have had to apply for a new one from the DVLA, Great i have no idea how long this will take? can anyone help me here? and ive just spoken to a friend of mine who bought an R6 from the same place and they lost his log book aswell which seems a bit suspicious - The only difference being that he got the bike first and the log book arrived later with no problems ... Now this is really annoying because im stuck with no transport and no idea when i will have some does this sound dodgy to anyone else
Old 25-11-06, 09:46 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

is it a main dealer? every dealer is required to run a hpi check by law so ask for it first. This does give you grounds for more negotiation, but remember the r6 is THE most nicked bike. Give all the serial numbers a good check!
Old 25-11-06, 09:57 PM   #3
Banus

Default dealer

There are loads of checks you can make when buying a bike but as far as I'm concerned, - If there is the SLIGHTEST doubt about the item you are thinking of buying or the integrity of the person selling it - then walk away - simple as that.
There are plenty of sound / straight bikes availabe from honest people who can show you the V5 and if you are buying at this time of the year - you should get a bargain
Old 25-11-06, 11:47 PM   #4
Jebiah

its a main yamaha dealer, but im not sure if what i signed is a contract to buy the bike? what serial numbers should i check and where are they? sorry for all the questions but im quite worried! surely they couldn't sell me a stolen bike? its only had one owner and he bought it from them anyway ... hmm seems strange i just want it all sorted and to get my bike thanks for your replies though
Old 25-11-06, 11:59 PM   #5
FG1

If you feel that you want to back out of the agreement but also want your deposit back, one way might be.........
Did you agree a ready for collection date? If the bike and log book are not ready for the agreed date then you have grounds for asking for your deposit back and backing out of the agreement.
It is the dealer which has failed to meet the terms of the agreement and as such, have no grounds to keep your deposit.
On the other hand, if you really do want the bike and don't mind waiting for the log book, then collect the bike on the agreed date.
I would suggest that if you do collect the bike without the log book, agree on a timescale for receiving the log book, and have this agreement in writing. This way, if there is any uncertainty with regards a log book you still have reasonable grounds for returning the bike with a full refund.
I suppose the bottom line is.....How badly do you want/need that bike?????
Old 26-11-06, 12:28 AM   #6
Jebiah

We havn't agreed a date to collect the bike, he just said phone us when you get the log book (its been put in my name and is being sent to my address?) i do really want the bike, i can't pick it up because its not taxed, surely he could have used the application for the log book to get tax then i could have taken it away while they sorted that out? its just all getting annoying and a pain in the a**e i just want my bike without all this hassle. now i can't tax it without the log book can i? so i have to wait - does anyone know how long a log book could take to get to me my friend thinks about a month which would be ridiculous as i have no transport.
Old 26-11-06, 01:20 AM   #7
FG1

Be a pain in the rear and ask the dealer if you can borrow their trade plates till the V5 arrives as it's their fault you can't tax the bike. Alternatively, ask them for a demo R6 till you can tax your bike. I can't see them obliging but it could be worth it.
Old 26-11-06, 10:34 AM   #8
Beenz

Although this is irregular, log books do get lost. It might be an honest mistake. If/when you get the log book you should be fine, it'll just take a little longer. Anything dodgy and the DVLA should pick up on it. At least the weathers crap at the moment so you'd not be getting the best out of it anyway at the moment, I still share your frstration though, when your minds made up you just want to ride the new bike, regardless of the weather.

Hope it all goes well, good luck!
Old 26-11-06, 10:41 AM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Providing you are happy enough to accept the bike pop along to your local DVLA office and fill out the appropriate paperwork,i.e.lost misplaced log book and you can tax the bike---problem solved
Old 26-11-06, 12:24 PM   #10
Jebiah

Quote:
Providing you are happy enough to accept the bike pop along to your local DVLA office and fill out the appropriate paperwork,i.e.lost misplaced log book and you can tax the bike---problem solved
I wish i could but they already did that for me filled it out in my name then sent it off without taxing it, then told me that they had done it! so im just sat here now without a known date of when im getting my bike and 3 pictures of it to dribble over whats also not helping is my friends keep txting me asking if i have it yet its been about 2 weeks since i put my deposit down he didn't send the form off for the new log book untill nearly a week after that! useless