SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-06, 08:16 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default that feeling after an off.

ive got my new sv in the garage but i still feel abit funny riding her i still feel abit worried when going over traffic lights in the car? now i wouldnt class myself as a pussy but it defo has rattled me? i have a feeling its going to be sometime until i get back to my old self.
anyone else get the same feeling after you've had an incident with a car?
Old 29-11-06, 08:30 PM   #2
Tommy_Tank

Yes, I was pretty nervous after my off for a while ... I've done a few track days since and now my confidence is higher than ever ! If you haven't already then get involved, you won't regret it !
Old 29-11-06, 08:41 PM   #3
philipMac

I know what you are talking about.
Nothing you can do but drive, and wait for it to go away.

You will find the old habits kicking in fairly quickly, most of what I do on a bike is sort of automatic at this point I think.
Old 29-11-06, 08:43 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

Yep just takes time matey.
Old 29-11-06, 08:57 PM   #5
Scubini

Its perfectly normal to get a bit of mild PTSD after a crash where you've felt in mortal danger. Happened to me a few years ago - I borrowed the communal invisibility cloke and got taken out by a cager.

My advice is to talk about it until you literally bore yourself let alone everyone else..... worked for me I literally felt like all cagers were out to get me! The feelings gradually faded and now I'm back to normal with just a healthy amount of anxiety.

Advanced training may also help give you more a sense of control over your own destiny.

Hang in there
Old 29-11-06, 09:10 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I had a similar feeling a few years ago, after some daft old biddy pulled out literally metres in front of me when I was minding my own business on a A road. No chance I could stop, I hit the back of her Metro so hard the exhaust pipe punched straight through the bumper on my Nova. Everytime I drove passed the Junction where it happened for months afterwards I'd be nervous especially if there was a car waiting to pull out I'd replay the accident again.

Liz had it recently after somebody drove into the back of her in my car. Everytime she was stopped in a queue of traffic or a traffic lights and she saw a car approaching fast in the mirror she would be nervous that she was going to hit from behind by the approaching car.

It just takes time, it'll go away after a while.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-06, 09:12 PM   #7
TC3

I was nervous after my last off in which i broke a rib and now also have a wonky knee. I had to ride home the next day 300 miles from France and by the time i got home my confidence was back up!
Old 29-11-06, 09:52 PM   #8
Beenz

Time and mileage are great healers.
Old 29-11-06, 10:02 PM   #9
kwak zzr

i dont suppose the slippery roads help with confidence this time of year, lets just hope we get some nice dry cold days so i can clock up some miles.
Old 30-11-06, 08:43 AM   #10
Kate

Yup, still have the same thing from my accident back in Feb. I would say to just take it easy and don't push it. If you are on the bike but aren't enjoying it, don't force it, just give it a rest for a little bit and have a go another time.

It is a time thing irritatingly enough, it does gradually get easier. Personally though, not sure I could get back on a SV on the road, that would probably freak me out too much.