SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-09, 01:55 PM   #1
Owenski

Default Listening to Music

Here is one that will surely have sleeves rolled up and the gloves off. Whats YOUR HONEST opinion on riding whilst listening to music.

I used to ride with both ear phones in at first then I changed it to 1 ear phone which I prefered becuase it made me less paraniod about sirens from behind.
Then I bought a bluetooth helmet at the request of the lady friend who wanted to be able to phone me when I was out for a ride if it got past my bed time lol.
Now I dont need my ipod anymore because I can listen through the bluetooth helmet but its been a while since I used to ride and listen so I'm not too convinced;
a. if its legal and
b. if its wise.

Discuss,
Old 27-04-09, 01:57 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Listening to Music

Perosnally, I dont think its a great idea. I see alot of people driving in cars listening to their walkmans with the headphones in, and they pay less attention to their surroundings. I wear ear plugs, granted, but with them you can still hear sirens, horns, engines. Just not road noise or wind noise. With headphones in and music on, you can hear only the music.

so, personally, I dont think its a good idea
Old 27-04-09, 01:58 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

Personally I dont like it, and I dont see that it is good for concentration.

I know car drivers do it all the time, but then they also used to answer mobile phones before that became illegal.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-09, 02:00 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I tried it, I found it distracting. Certain types of music also brought out the worst in my riding as well. So I dont do it anymore.

I believe its legal to do it though.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-09, 02:03 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Personally I dont like it, and I dont see that it is good for concentration.

I know car drivers do it all the time, but then they also used to answer mobile phones before that became illegal.
On the contrary, I find that Trance music heightens my concentration, so I tend to use that when riding.

As for the hearing nothing argument, well I use the in-ear type headphones, but the music is at a level that I can pull up to the right hand side of an SV with an unbaffled can at traffic lights and have a conversation while waiting for them to go green, Lucas can testify to that as I did it yesterday on the A12.............. actually most of the Soho Massive have experienced it.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-09, 02:06 PM   #6
TazDaz

Depends what sort of riding I'm doing. I tend to listen to my MP3 player when doing long motorway journeys simply because it's boring as fook and there isn't much that can happen on the motorway compared to riding down residential roads etc - as for hearing sirens behind you, I check my mirrors often enough to notice if anything is there.

If I'm riding for pleasure - twisties etc, I don't listen to music as I need more concentration!
Old 27-04-09, 02:07 PM   #7
Owenski

I thought it was legal but wasnt certain, and agree music makes your riding style change which due to me filtering daily through M62/M621 traffic I need to be as calm and focus'd as poss.
But out on a sunday ride in the distance I think its really great to have a soundtrack to drift around to.
Old 27-04-09, 02:07 PM   #8
bris

I like it, for me all it does is drown out the wind noice, I can still hear all thats around me. It is legal but just like in the car you can't play around with the setting etc while on the move.
Old 27-04-09, 02:09 PM   #9
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

i have found the opposite

usually only listen to music on long journeys that involve motorways, i have found it keeps me more alert and my observation is better, also endurance can keep going without getting tired (oow err saucy)

usually listen to rock/heavy rock if that makes a difference or dance if im in that sort of mood

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-09, 02:09 PM   #10
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris View Post
I like it, for me all it does is drown out the wind noice, I can still hear all thats around me. It is legal but just like in the car you can't play around with the setting etc while on the move.
apart from everybody in a car does.