SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-12, 08:24 PM   #1
Elltg

Default Oxford Charger models. Advice?

Hello guys.

Until now a mate and I have been sharing a battery charger. This was great until his alarm started munching batteries and my bike was left dormant for a while and was left with little health left.

So I have decided to buy a charger myself and have also elected to buy a respectable charger this time rather than a halfords one!

At this point I am between the following two models linked below and I am not sure which one is better. The lower model number 601 seems to have a couple of features the 3800 does not. At this point I am at a loss. Please help!

Oxford 601

Oxford 3800

Or alternatively, if I am missing out on a better option. I'm not the kinda guy to ignore good advice if you catch my drift!
Old 16-02-12, 08:30 PM   #2
glade

I have a Ctek 0.8 which works perfectly.

It Has brought two dead batteries back now, and the bike starts cleanly first time even after months without use.
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 11:10 PM   #3
Jake.L

Default Re: Oxford Charger models. Advice?

My battery recently died on me i think due to the cold mornings. So i bought the Oximiser 900 charger for about 25quid and have to say am very impressed. It sorted out the battery from being flat and now i just trickle charge it every few days. It has the auto off feature when its reached peak performance so i know the battery will be fine even when I leave the charger on.

Spot on piece of kit and very easy to use.
Old 17-02-12, 09:57 AM   #4
MJC-DEV

I'm really impressed with my CTEK 0.8, very good charger with lots of charge modes.
Old 17-02-12, 02:23 PM   #5
Elltg

So it seems the ctek 0.8 is well regarded! Up until now I had not heard of this brand. Can anyone enlighten me on their reputation?

I understand it is just a trickle charger and the oxford products automatically switch to this when they deem it suitable. Could you recommend why you would choose the ctek over an oxford maximiser?

Cheers for the replies guys!
Old 18-02-12, 08:47 PM   #6
glade

Small, nice design. First heard of the brand in Evo magazine advertised for ferraris & exotica.
They do a large range for automotive & marine and the bike model is just one available.

They also supply a dashboard connection which i plan to fit to my westfield so i can plug straight in. There is a range of other fittings.

It is a charger, but also an optimiser so it does a different current profile depending on the state of the battery.

http://ctek.com/gb/en

I got mine cheaper on amazon
Old 18-02-12, 08:54 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I bought an Optimate in 1999 and its still going strong.Not the cheapest but you cant complain
Old 22-02-12, 09:26 PM   #8
mep

I recently bought an Oxford Oximiser 9000 after having to get a new battery so I could keep it in good shape. My current bike useage is no longer daily due to moving house, so the peace of mind of this kind of charger is great. I like the way these types simply connect to the battery with so you can quickly plug it in or disconnect it by only taking off the rear seat.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-12, 05:50 PM   #9
glade

I'm sure that oxford do it too but ctek comes with waterproof quick connect lead so you don't need to open the seat to plug in.
Old 23-02-12, 10:02 PM   #10
mpsricky

+ 1 for oximiser 900.

Excellent!!!