SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-07, 09:06 PM   #1
danf1234

Default Front and rear suspension upgrade

OK I know this is getting done to death at the moment.

I am going to upgrade my front springs and oil and my rear shock on my K6 sport.

What is the best option for doing this without spending huge amounts of money and where is a good place to buy everything I need from. I am a big lover of minimal hassle.

Is the hyper pro front and rear spring kit from Hein Gerick any good. Does this involve getting a new rear shock.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-07, 09:30 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Front and rear suspension upgrade

Dan I'm in the process of doing the same, going for uprated ohlins springs (0.80 rating) and preload adjusters (the curvy doesn't have these) which have all been purchased. Also going for a Hagon rear shock/spring unit for the rear (to be ordered when next pay packet comes through), as I've been informed that the original unit goes off very quickly.

However I've had great fun on track (4 times) on the original set up, so I'm hoping with this small upgrade tracks and fast road riding will be even more fun. And the road to Hawes. And the road to Helmsley. And the Alps. And the Nurburgring. And all the other roads!

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 10-05-07 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spg
Old 10-05-07, 10:23 PM   #3
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Also going for a Hagon rear shock/spring unit for the rear
Hagon's have a single damping adjuster - ie no separate adjustment for compression & rebound. save your money & get a zxr/gixxer shock, probably 1/4 of the price & you get separate compression/rebound adjustment
Old 10-05-07, 10:38 PM   #4
danf1234

Does the GSXR shock go straight on an SV? Is it an easy job to do or not?
Old 10-05-07, 10:50 PM   #5
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
Does the GSXR shock go straight on an SV? Is it an easy job to do or not?
gixxer shock fits pointy; zxr fits curvy. need to cut battery box. not hard to do if you can support the bike. use the search, this has been covered a zillion times
Old 10-05-07, 10:58 PM   #6
phil24_7
Mega Poster

With the gixxer shock do you have to cut the undertray if ya got one fitted?

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 10:59 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
gixxer shock fits pointy; zxr fits curvy. need to cut battery box. not hard to do if you can support the bike. use the search, this has been covered a zillion times
And really, really works!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 11:32 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
Hagon's have a single damping adjuster - ie no separate adjustment for compression & rebound. save your money & get a zxr/gixxer shock, probably 1/4 of the price & you get separate compression/rebound adjustment
Yep, but damping curves designed for completely different bikes... No matter what you do with the GSXR and 636 shocks, you'll never get a "right" result, it'll be a total compromise. The adjustability you get with these shocks doesn't change that- it's still the wrong curve, just that at some points the damping rates will be the same as the right curve would be.

Not saying i'd buy the Hagon, just pointing out that adjustability isn't the be-all and end-all. Ask a B-model 636 owner The shock swaps are great for the money. I'd look for a used Ohlins, WP, Technoflex, Penske, etc instead, myself, in fact I did!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 09:59 AM   #9
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yep, but damping curves designed for completely different bikes... No matter what you do with the GSXR and 636 shocks, you'll never get a "right" result, it'll be a total compromise. The adjustability you get with these shocks doesn't change that- it's still the wrong curve, just that at some points the damping rates will be the same as the right curve would be.

Not saying i'd buy the Hagon, just pointing out that adjustability isn't the be-all and end-all. Ask a B-model 636 owner The shock swaps are great for the money. I'd look for a used Ohlins, WP, Technoflex, Penske, etc instead, myself, in fact I did!
I put a 636 shock in my curvey last year. I can say it's a LOT better than the stock unit, but as Northwind says it's still a compromise. The damping is way better, and it improved the bike, for a cheap mod it's good.

I've now upgraded to a Nitron shock, and can say it's a lot better again than the 636. Damping obviously matches the bike, and it's sprung for my weight.

It all depends on how much modding, chopping, and cash you want to chuck at your bike. Obviously a top brand shock is better than a compromise upgrade from another bike, but if you've not got the cash, then talking about spending c. £400 on a shock isn't what you want to hear.

I'd probably recommend using an upgrade shock (636, gixer etc), whilest saving for something better (as I did), if you are outriding the exitsing suspension.
Old 11-05-07, 12:28 PM   #10
Taipan

Hi Mate

I have some hyperpro front springs to fit. I ordered them from Calsport for £97 delivered. The guy I spoke to there was really helpfull and recommended fitting the hyperpro rear spring too. Saaid it takes away that "hinged" feeling! He said you need the right spring compressors to do it, or if I sent in the shock they'd fit it for free I'd just pay postage!
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote