SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-10, 08:20 AM   #11
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front end -changing springs

Spring rate is one of the variables you change to set the bike up, and yes that means changing springs.

Ok so nobody with linear springs in stock forks ever figured their springs were too hard on the top or too soft on the bottom? So why fit progressives?

Linear will give you something which is better all around and won't be perfect in all situations either. IMO progressive springs introduce another unknown which you don't need.
Old 23-04-10, 10:02 AM   #12
james160987

well considering i know "nowt" , and the suspension feels horrible, is progressive an easy way to go if its meant to give a balanced feeling?
Old 24-04-10, 06:18 AM   #13
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Here is my view
People fit progressives not knowing owt, compared to standard they feel ace. However... has anyone fitted linears and thought "needs to be harder in bottom of travel" or "could do with being softer right at the top"?

Personally I don't like hagons advertising of one spring fits all, it's BS, there are a million ways suspension behaves. And none of the progressive spring makers supply charts showing you what rate you're getting and where.
One spring does not fit all actually. In the case of an SV they produce different springs for the faired model as opposed to the un-faired. You wouldn't believe the amount of research they've done on their fork springs.

Quote:
You sound like alpinestarhero going on about some lardy VFR or something.

You need springs for your weight, sticker on box doesn't matter. Racetech do the full range, IIRC so do maxton.* I'm not a progressive fan.

For your weight I would try .85 or .9kg/mm

*They definitely do a full range of spring weights but whether they do a specific SV kit I'm not sure.

Not done much research then have they?

Considering I started doing this for a living when you were at infants school I consider myself reasonably well qualified to voice my opinions. Which, in the case of Hagon springs extends to some 500+ sets supplied & fitted. I've not had a complaint yet. & there's nothing wrong with VFR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post

I would also argue that a good many riders (myself included) want to improve the SV suspension without delving too deeply into the rate curve of the progressives, or whether a linear is a touch too soft at the bottom or too hard at the top; they just want something better all round and understand that it won't be perfect in all situations.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Cheers.

Last edited by Spanner Man; 24-04-10 at 06:23 AM.
Spanner Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 08:45 AM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Not done much research then have they?
They have, I haven't
Ring them and ask, I'm sure I've fitted a maxton full kit for somebody and they supplied oil, springs and new spacers BUT I'm not sure. Hence my uncertainty.
TBH I'm not sure many people accuse a company that outfits bikes for the TT and produces their own bespoke shock absorbers and fork internals of not doing their research! It's not a lack of research so much as a different chunk of the market, hagon want to sell a million springs to commuters and people with harleys and stuff, maxton want to make bikes go quickly and happen to sell springs as a side effect.

Hagon supply a different kit for naked and faired models, but then don't ask you about rider weight or riding style? Where is the logic in that, the different riding position is probably worth half a spring rate or so where the extremes of rates could be needed between 0.7 up to 1.1 or something.

I know you were put in with the foundations when you had to stick your feet out of the bottom of the bike all flintstones-like... but I still don't agree one size fits all
(and lets be honest, I'd argue with the tide...)

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 24-04-10 at 01:44 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 09:01 AM   #15
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
They have, I haven't
Ring them and ask, I'm sure I've fitted a maxton full kit for somebody and they supplied oil, springs and new spacers BUT I'm not sure. Hence my uncertainty.
TBH I'm not sure many people accuse a company that outfits bikes for the TT and produces their own bespoke shock absorbers and fork internals of not doing their research! It's not a lack of research so much as a different chunk of the market, hagon want to sell a million springs to commuters and people with harleys and stuff, maxton want to make bikes go quickly and happen to sell springs as a side effect.

Hagon supply a different kit for naked and faired models, but then don't ask you about rider weight or riding style? Where is the logic in that, the different riding position is probably worth half a spring rate or so where the extremes of rates could be needed between 0.7 up to 1.1 or something.

I know you were put in with the foundations when you had to stick your feet out of the bottom of the bike all flintstones-like... but I still don't agree one size fits all
(and lets be honest, I'd argue with the tide...)

Good morning all.

Enough of this churlish Willy swinging

We all know that Maxton, & Racetech etc are very good at what they do, but as has been said, most riders want a simple upgrade, that isn't too costly. You should bear that in mind before launching into your usual tirade of 'Ya need owt but a GSXR front end' Technobabble

I also can't see the point of your comment about Hagon not asking about riders weight etc. If you went & bought a new bike from any of the major manufacturers they don't ask what your weight is do they? Got you there!

Cheers.
Old 25-04-10, 10:36 AM   #16
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
I also can't see the point of your comment about Hagon not asking about riders weight etc. If you went & bought a new bike from any of the major manufacturers they don't ask what your weight is do they? Got you there!
Willy swinging BS... I am a geek when it comes to bikes and no apology, usual Yorkshire motto applies, I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say

What you mean "got me", shot yourself in foot more like. Manufacturers set up is a compromise, like GSXR for example has compromised setup to try and please thin people who want to go fast and fat people who want to do wheelies in the same setup. When you mess about with suspension you simply make the bike more focused for you by removing the compromises put in place by factory.

How can you not see point? A fat bloke needs a stiffer spring than a thin bloke and that is fact!
Old 25-04-10, 11:08 AM   #17
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Willy swinging BS... I am a geek when it comes to bikes and no apology, usual Yorkshire motto applies, I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say

What you mean "got me", shot yourself in foot more like. Manufacturers set up is a compromise, !

He He. Do I detect a touch of indignation Well I am an EXPERIENCED geek when it comes to bikes, so, Knickers! What's more, I do it with a proper accent!

All joking to one side, indeed any manufacturers set up is a compromise. As are Hagon springs. They just do it rather better than the manufacturers, end of!

There's nothing at all wrong with advocating extensive modifications to standard bikes. Such as, changing front ends etc. However, it's usually beyond the needs, wants, & often budget of the majority of riders. Remember that next time you launch into one of your black pudding laden, grammar distorting, tirades in favour of the above.

Cheers.
Old 25-04-10, 11:14 AM   #18
james160987

well ill be ordering the hagon springs, so thats settled, just want ease and fromw hat ive read on here alot of people are happy with them,

just got to work the backend now, got a gsxr 600 shock but think im overwieght for that , so think i need to find a zx10 shock , as i think there easier to get inaswell , not having to cut battery box etc
Old 25-04-10, 11:16 AM   #19
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by james160987 View Post
well ill be ordering the hagon springs, so thats settled, just want ease and fromw hat ive read on here alot of people are happy with them,

just got to work the backend now, got a gsxr 600 shock but think im overwieght for that , so think i need to find a zx10 shock , as i think there easier to get inaswell , not having to cut battery box etc

Good show! You wont be disappointed with them I'm sure. (despite what some folks say)

A ZX10 shock does require some modification of the battery box however.

Cheers.
Old 25-04-10, 11:22 AM   #20
Swin

My last two Bandits, one had hagon springs, the other stock - the Hagons stiffened up the front quite a bit - stopped the usual dive on heavy braking - I personally feel the SV is a bit soft up front too and will be looking at Hagons next time it goes in!
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote