SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-10, 08:23 PM   #1
Triv650

Default Curvy or Pointy, the differences to a beginner?

Now I know there have been threads about this before, but I want to try to direct it to specific point. I know a lot of the folks on here are very knowledgable and could fix a massive engine failure with some duct tape and WD40, but I'm not like that. I'm not as of yet mechanically minded, although I'd like to be, and young so funds are not extensive.

I know I want to get an SV, but what are the differences that a beginner would notice, particularly one on 33hp restriction. I'm not too fussed about performance differences or whether the front forks have x.xxx amount more spring than the curvey, but which is easier to live with, cheaper to run, which has more spare parts and those parts are easier to get, is there much difference on insurance etc etc.

I know it has been asked to some degree before, but I hope this question is a bit more focused than others on the same issue and you all know what I'm trying to say.

Oh and I'm not fussed about looks. I like them both fairly equally.

Last edited by Triv650; 27-04-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 27-04-10, 08:24 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: Curvy or Pointy, the differences to a beginner

pointy is best

k3

and in silver

nuff said
Old 27-04-10, 08:27 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Curvies have carbs so the restriction would be washhers, pointies are injected and so would have an ecu restrictor. Not much difference aside from that and what difference there is is mostly stylistic!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-10, 08:27 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

If you want to learn mechanics, the curvy is easier. Probably more curvy parts about and cheaper too.

Both about the same as a beginner to ride, you will get used to either same.
Old 27-04-10, 09:38 PM   #5
james160987

i had pointy, got it at 18, hasnt let me down yet, and im bad with service schedules, so from my own exp, pointy- bullet proof, restriction, box under the seat ( cdi) , time to un-restrict, about 20 seconds give or take,
Old 28-04-10, 09:31 AM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I have a restricted Pointy and when the wife wants to ride it, we just swap the ECU, which takes about two minutes and that is mainly taking off the seat. You can get a throttle stop and washers on a pointy, but it gives you a third of the throttle movement and will never allow your engine to breath properly. On this basis, I would for for the ECU option.

I have had a couple of small issues with my Pointy though, due to failure on my part to maintain it correctly. The Clutch push rod worm gear thing needs loving attention every so often and my brake calipers need servicing.

There are about 6000 entries on E-Bay for SV parts if you look hard enough, but the things are pretty reliable if maintained.

I have to be honest, what swung it for me in choosing a pointy was purely cosmetic. The dealer I got my bike from had two S models in silver, one curvy and one pointy. Both were in very good condition, but I preferred the look of the pointy. In truth, I doubt that you find a lot of difference between them when restricted to 33BHP if you find good examples of each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 03:11 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Nothing that matters - buy the best one you can find for the money you've got.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote