SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-16, 04:10 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default 2017 SV650 issue

I have the new L7 SV650 which has a slight problem, it's under warranty and the dealer has had one quick look at it and is going to have another look soon. I like to speculate on various bike issues and I'd appreciate opinions on this issue.

The bike starts from cold perfectly but if I ride off immediately it feels like it needs more "choke" (I know it doesn't have one), it bogs down and you need far more throttle than normal to get any revs, almost like it's running on one cylinder. I'm only talking about low speeds (no more than 30 mph), by the time the first bar appears on the dash temp gauge (no number indication on the L7) everything is fine and throttle movement to engine revs matches (ie increase throttle, get more revs).

If I start the bike from cold and let it idle until the first temp bar appears, then the bike runs perfectly. When I start the bike from cold I do get a fast idle (1500-1600 rpm) and both exhausts warm up at the same time.

I rode the dealer's demo SV and it ran the same from cold as when warmed up so there's definitely an issue with my bike.

I wonder if it might be a problem with the IAT sensor but I welcome any ideas. The dealer has said that he wants the bike overnight and he's prepared to loan me a bike since he's 40 miles away so there's no problem with that.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the cold start circuit on the fuel injected SV models. I know it checks the incoming air temp (IAT), the coolant temp, how else does it know that the engine requires a different map to compensate for the cold?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 04:30 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2017 SV650 issue

sounds like a faulty temp sensor from the factory.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 10:17 AM   #3
macamxthe1st

Hi, how are you getting on with the bike so far ?. I am liking mine more and more and apart from the seat which I am getting sorted by Core as you have had done I cannot fault it. It's a shame that you are experiencing a minor problem but from my experience of Julian and Ben any issue could not be in better hands.

Geoff.
Old 11-07-16, 02:19 PM   #4
macamxthe1st

Your views mirror mine, I have almost 3,000 on it now and it just gets better and better. Quite sure the guys will sort the issue. Really looking forward to getting my seat done. Regardless of price I think this is a truly great bike, factor in price and it is astounding. We now live in the North Pennines and everybody you see up hear seems to be riding fully kitted GS's which loose as much in the first year as I paid for this and I swear the SV is more fun (but I probably don't look as cool, shame) which reminds me I must get a dark visor to conceal the smug grin.

Geoff.
Old 05-08-16, 03:47 PM   #5
macamxthe1st

Good that its now sorted, fully agree with you regarding B & B of Lincoln, enough to say they are the only dealership that I will buy from or have maintain my bike despite the distance that I now have to travel to access them.

Geoff.
Old 05-08-16, 05:59 PM   #6
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
Your views mirror mine, I have almost 3,000 on it now and it just gets better and better. Quite sure the guys will sort the issue. Really looking forward to getting my seat done. Regardless of price I think this is a truly great bike, factor in price and it is astounding. We now live in the North Pennines and everybody you see up hear seems to be riding fully kitted GS's which loose as much in the first year as I paid for this and I swear the SV is more fun (but I probably don't look as cool, shame) which reminds me I must get a dark visor to conceal the smug grin.

Geoff.

Don't look as cool...on a little sporty number like the SV over the horrid, disgusting, bloated looks of the GS? GOT to be kidding me!