SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-07, 05:06 PM   #1
ccurts

Default SV650 after a Bandit 650

Picked up the new SV naked today and managed to have a 70 mile blast around the Pembrokeshire coast. Now either the SV suspension is much better than the Bandit or boy has the bandit deteriorated in 2 years. The ride is so much firmer and it makes the bandit seem extremely soggy in comparison. Even keeping (mostly) under 5000 revs I had a ball and my corner speeds must have been way higher than before.

Even though the power & torque curves are pretty close for both bikes, the difference in throttle response and low down pull is amazing. Just need to get the next 500 miles out the way so I can really cane it. Can't wait.

BTW the insects are really out in force today aren't they.
ccurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 06:50 PM   #2
TC3

Default Re: SV650 after a Bandit 650

Congrats on the new bike. Yeah there was a few big flying things hitting my visor today out in the twisties....and i mean real big S.O.B.'s
Old 14-04-07, 07:14 PM   #3
remf179

Its just an all round better bike mate. I picked my new SV sport up amonth ago and came from a tuned B6, the handling is far superior. I love mine its great!
Old 14-04-07, 07:50 PM   #4
arenalife

There was so much DNA on my visor today, I thought I'd hit a flying cat.
Old 14-04-07, 07:59 PM   #5
650sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenalife View Post
There was so much DNA on my visor today, I thought I'd hit a flying cat.
yeah i was wiping visor all day and i managed to get a big lump of bird sh*t on it.. just glad it was closed at the time..
Old 15-04-07, 01:47 AM   #6
kcowgergmm

nice choice in bikes i really like the sv
Old 15-04-07, 01:48 PM   #7
ccurts

Yep it's a heap more fun to ride. Not too happy about that seat though. Did another 65 miles this morning before lunch. Another 450 to go!
Old 15-04-07, 02:35 PM   #8
remf179

Being a family man Ill be a bit behind ya to get it run in!! Ive had mine a month and only just broken 300 miles!!!

Never mind kids are back at school next week so will pile the miles on then!! I must admit everything even after just 300 miles is starting to need a tweak or two, throttle & clutch cables are streched a bit and the chain so Im just aiming for the 600 mile mark to the first service. Im gonna get the dealer to plug it into their YOSHI box to reset the fuelling cos Ive fitted a Viper can. Sounds grrrreeaat without the baffle but far to load to keep it out all the time I reckon! Goin round corners is so much more fun than the bandit, mine used to be like turning the queen mary!!
I havent fiddled with the suspension at all yet have you? I do find it dives quite a lot so may have a fiddle with the front preload anyone any suggestions on that one its set at 3 at the moment.
Old 15-04-07, 03:28 PM   #9
ccurts

I too am a family man, just made a special effort this weekend. I haven't found diving to be a problem yet, but the suspension doesn't cope well with uneven tarmac. Very bouncy indeed, I suppose it is partly due to the light weight. Luckily the chassis keeps it all together so you are always going the way you want to go. I will have a play with the pre-load, but I think it's the damping that lets it down. I cant see me making any major changes for a while, because I doubt the payback would be worth spending the money. One thing's for sure though, I am sooo glad I changed. Know exactly what you mean by the queen mary.

Ride Safe.
Old 15-04-07, 06:59 PM   #10
Toypop

I went from a Bandit 600 to an SV and it did handle better although to be honest I put it down to the fact that my Bandit had worn squared off tyres and the SV's were brand new. The SV fell into corners a lot better and I am sure that was why but I could be wrong.

I too found performance to be identical with the SV having crisper throttle response which was held back a bit by the longer gearing on my S model. This reduced the low down pull advantage of the SV over the Bandit but your naked is probably a lot better in that respect. I think if I got another SV it would be the naked model.