SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-07, 01:32 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default Changing my fork springs

I ordered Hagon progressive fork springs yesterday and the kit came today. Been thinking about the hassle of taking the fork tubes off to get the oil out and so I thought I'd ask this question:

I've got hold of a 100 ml syringe and was wondering if I could use this to syphon out the old oil. Is it practical to do that? Or am I missing something important?

Cheers.
Old 03-07-07, 01:35 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Changing my fork springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
I ordered Hagon progressive fork springs yesterday and the kit came today. Been thinking about the hassle of taking the fork tubes off to get the oil out and so I thought I'd ask this question:

I've got hold of a 100 ml syringe and was wondering if I could use this to syphon out the old oil. Is it practical to do that? Or am I missing something important?

Cheers.
I guerss you could.....but it might take the best part of ages?

Matt
Old 03-07-07, 01:44 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

It's also best to let them drain to get the worst of it out, it can take a good 15 mins upside down, doubt you would get the last of the gunk out with a syringe.
Old 03-07-07, 01:44 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Read this from the main site
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:44 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's been suggested on a number of occasions before, I wouldn't do it for two reasons:
1. You won't get all the old oil out.
2. Setting the level with the new oil won't be very accurate.

It's true that these are both minor concerns for many people, by which I mean that whatever amount of oil you don't get out should be about the same for each fork, so the dilution should be the same, and the forks aren't so fussy as to require fastidious level setting. So you could just set the oils in the manner that you describe as you're willing to accept compromise, but then if you are why change the springs in the first place? Live with it like it is now.
It's about 15mins work to get the forks off: Calipers off, mudguard off, wheel out and then it's just the pinch bolts for the forks themselves. If you've got an 'S' you don't need to remove the fairing.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:59 PM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
If you've got an 'S' you don't need to remove the fairing.
Wish you had posted this 2 weeks ago.................

Jambo - you still got that pic of my bike with everything forward of the tank off?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)

Last edited by SoulKiss; 03-07-07 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added Pic thanks to Jambo
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 03:09 PM   #7
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Read this from the main site
Thanks for the link LP. (How's your bruises BTW?) That seemed quite a sensible thing to do really. I'll probably end up taking the forks of anyway cos I want to renew brake pads and fit fenda extenda so the wheel and mudguard etc will be coming off anyway - but thought it was worth an ask.

What do people clean the gunk out with? Paraffin?

First time I've noticed that FAQ section ans saw the bit about fitting a fenda extenda.

Speaking of fitting fenda Ex, what is the usual with that? I was thinking about using epoxy resin to glue it but that seems a bit permanent. And the screws do look a bit naff to me.

Sorry about the thread subject digress
Old 03-07-07, 03:14 PM   #8
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
It's been suggested on a number of occasions before, I wouldn't do it for two reasons:
1. You won't get all the old oil out.
2. Setting the level with the new oil won't be very accurate.

It's true that these are both minor concerns for many people, by which I mean that whatever amount of oil you don't get out should be about the same for each fork, so the dilution should be the same, and the forks aren't so fussy as to require fastidious level setting. So you could just set the oils in the manner that you describe as you're willing to accept compromise, but then if you are why change the springs in the first place? Live with it like it is now.
It's about 15mins work to get the forks off: Calipers off, mudguard off, wheel out and then it's just the pinch bolts for the forks themselves. If you've got an 'S' you don't need to remove the fairing.

Yes, that may be 15 minutes for you Sid. Be a damn sight longer for me though.

My forks are bottoming to easily, and that is why I want to change the springs.
Old 03-07-07, 03:20 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Don't worry about removing the fork legs, it really is quite easy. 15 minutes a leg seems reasonable even to me.

There is a thread on here recently (over the weekend I think) about fixing on a Fenda Extenda, debating glue versus screws.

Bumps are ok now. Ankle gave a little gip over the weekend, making getting left boot on a challenge in the mornings
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 07:05 PM   #10
Gnome

How weird - I ordered a set of Hagon springs for my SV yesterday, and also got them today!!!

I've already got the forks out, but I take em to a chap in town (local Moto-x shop), who if I supply the parts, will do the lot for a small fee (only £40 to get my last set of USD's done - RWU's should be a bit easier for him).