SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-07, 03:47 PM   #1
Ping

Default Tesla coils... well I NEVER!

Fantastic!

http://www.hauntedfrog.com/gt/movies...TeslaShow.html
Old 12-07-07, 04:02 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Tesla coils... well I NEVER!

Nikola Tesla, clever clever man. Scarily ahead of his time.

He invented a working version of StarTrek's infamous "particle beam weapons" (ie, laser weapons). Admitedly it was lower power, and not destructive, but what do you expect for 1899? (Yes, really, pre-1900!!)

EDIT: He's also the grandfather of "cloud seeding" ... only he did it with electricity, from the ground!!

Imagine you could build a telsa coil, aim it at any point in the world (by arc-ing), hit a button, and bang. Everyone within a given radius dead. That was the theory he never completed.

Last edited by Baph; 12-07-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 04:07 PM   #3
hovis

geeks
Old 12-07-07, 04:12 PM   #4
keithd

i thought this was a thread about the O.M.D classic....

imagine my disappointment
Old 12-07-07, 06:40 PM   #5
wyntrblue

mmmm tesla coils. im hoping to build one. i can use the ignition coils from a car or 2 to build it....

will prob make a start in the winter ready for next summer.

i have also restored a few violet rays which work on the same princible.
Old 12-07-07, 06:54 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Nikola Tesla, clever clever man. Scarily ahead of his time.

He invented a working version of StarTrek's infamous "particle beam weapons" (ie, laser weapons). Admitedly it was lower power, and not destructive, but what do you expect for 1899? (Yes, really, pre-1900!!)

EDIT: He's also the grandfather of "cloud seeding" ... only he did it with electricity, from the ground!!

Imagine you could build a telsa coil, aim it at any point in the world (by arc-ing), hit a button, and bang. Everyone within a given radius dead. That was the theory he never completed.
I was watching a repeat of Mythbusters the other day where they put his "earthquake" machine to test. Small scale principal idea was good but tthe full scale thing didnt work at all.

Have you seen this at all? Did the Mythbusters just do it all wrong or what? I know nothin about nuthin sometimes but to my mind it seemed like it should have worked.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 07:12 PM   #7
Gnome

That was on tonight as well (The myhtbusters program)...

The above video was pretty amazing though...
Old 12-07-07, 07:32 PM   #8
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

I wonder If Jean Michelle Jerre would like to obtain one and re-release a few old classic albums.
Old 12-07-07, 09:50 PM   #9
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I was watching a repeat of Mythbusters the other day where they put his "earthquake" machine to test. Small scale principal idea was good but tthe full scale thing didnt work at all.

Have you seen this at all? Did the Mythbusters just do it all wrong or what? I know nothin about nuthin sometimes but to my mind it seemed like it should have worked.
Just because those Myth busters muppets couldnt get it to work doesnt mean it aint working.

No, I mean, Tesla is pretty much the man. Suffices to say he was born 1864, he died more than 60 years ago, and the US is still holding a sizable body of his work under the official secrets act.
There are very few things that stay secret for that long.
His ideas were so far ahead of their time that even today people are terrified of them. These new "heat ray" things they are using in the Gulf war II are basically designed by him.

And that's the stuff you know about.

He understood how devastating his ideas could be, and stopped developing some, or shared the plans out to each of the major powers in the world, giving no one power all the details, meaning they would have to unite to build the devices.

The guy is astonishing. By anyone's standards.
Old 12-07-07, 10:13 PM   #10
philipMac

Check this out for example....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

The guy designs a wireless Telco tower... in EIGHTTEEN HUNDRED AND NINETY SOMETHING.

Like... what??? They have barely got to grips sending with electricity down wires, and this lad is off setting up his wireless.
And then you start looking at the other stuff, the term mind boggling doesn't even apply here.

X rays, Alternators, alternating current, AND gate, charged particle beams, Arc lights,.... i dunno, amplifiers... like, its mental.
All him.
One guy, that most people have barely heard of.

What did Edison do? Light bulbs and phonographs. Emm. Cheers. Savage form there boss.