SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-20, 08:01 PM   #1
kibblez

Default 2017 SV650 not starting

Hey guys, total mechanical newb here. My bike sat a few months, had the battery on a trickle charger.
When I press the start button, I can hear a clicking noise coming from the back but the motor won't start.
I checked the battery and the reading seemed good (above 12.6V).
Any ideas what might be the issue?
Bike is in neutral and kickstand up.
Thanks!
Here a video of what I am hearing:
https://youtu.be/FfgkQYL35ig

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
kibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:05 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2017 SV650 not starting

I'm not familiar with that year of SV but is that click when you turn the key normal? It sounds like something shorting, but it might just sound weird on video.

I'd disconnect all the extra connections from the battery first of all and try without them. Can you turn the headlight off? If not I'd take the bulb out to minimise stress on the battery.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:09 PM   #3
aj76

My SV battery was reading 12.8 but wouldn't start the bike as it's the cranking power not voltage that's important so battery could be on its way. 12.6 if iirc is 90% of capacity so of it's been on trickle charge all winter then it may be time to replace.

Do you have a mate who could jump start from his bike or a car, just dont have the car running when you try.

aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:57 PM   #4
kibblez

After disconnecting other cables from the battery and unplugging the head light, I can hear the starter come on for a second now, I'll try to jump it

Old 03-05-20, 11:20 PM   #5
kibblez

I was able to jump start the bike! Picking up a new battery tomorrow, thanks guys!

Old 04-05-20, 10:07 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj76 View Post
My SV battery was reading 12.8 but wouldn't start the bike as it's the cranking power not voltage that's important so battery could be on its way. 12.6 if iirc is 90% of capacity so of it's been on trickle charge all winter then it may be time to replace.

Do you have a mate who could jump start from his bike or a car, just dont have the car running when you try.
Good point, it is the internal resistance of the battery that goes up as they age or get damaged by either overcharging or being allowed to go completely flat, but 3 years is a short time for a battery - wonder if it has been allowed to go proper flat at any stage and that will FUBAR a battery.

What trickle charger is being used ? if it sits at too high a voltage for a long time it can also damage battery ( proper maintenance charge is called 'float voltage' and should be in the region 13.5 to 13.8 volts in average UK temperatures - the colder the ambient the higher the float voltage ). You should never check a lead acid battery voltage immediately after taking the charger clips off, a condition called 'surface charge' gives an elevated voltage reading at the terminals, it needs to stand for an hour or have a load put on it ( turn headlight on for a few minutes ) to dissipate the surface charge.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index....w_temperatures

This is the cheapest trickle charger I have found, did a check on the voltages as it operated and it did its job of charging / checking battery starting at low voltage of about 13.4 and then ramping up to about 14.2 volts, and when happy the orange 'charging' LED went off and green 'charged' LED then it down to a nice float voltage of 13.7v when the green light came on. Have 3 of these and use them on my bike and cars ( at the moment they don't move much ). It does a 4 stage charge and does not promise to bring totally neglected batteries back from the dead like some very expensive ones do ( but it does have a temperature sensor to adjust float voltage ), but if a battery is that far gone I would be loathe to trust it in future anyway, so I would use the difference in money between this charger and mega expensive ones and buy a new Yuasa battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good tips on looking after your battery https://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/ca...r-your-battery

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-05-20 at 12:47 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:12 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I've been using Oxford Maximizers for years. Great little step/maintenance chargers,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Ox...gAAOSwZL5dsvY-

£29 ish.

HTH
Old 07-05-20, 02:04 PM   #8
Sean_Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I've been using Oxford Maximizers for years. Great little step/maintenance chargers,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Ox...gAAOSwZL5dsvY-

£29 ish.

HTH
It'll do for me. Just ordered one.
Ive just been out for a cheeky little ride, it was a bit sluggish turning over.
I'll put it down to lots of short journeys and the lack of a good run out since I bought the bike

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sean_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 02:48 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Morgan View Post
It'll do for me. Just ordered one.
Ive just been out for a cheeky little ride, it was a bit sluggish turning over.
I'll put it down to lots of short journeys and the lack of a good run out since I bought the bike

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Tip: There is only one weakness with these little chargers(Mine's an older version) and that's the Battery side cable over several years can weaken at the entry grommet by being bent/flexed a lot which it did on an old one I had. I used a Tie-Wrap to prevent this when I bought a new one.

PS

I always use a good slug of Redex Fuel cleaner in my tank from time to time or any similar fuel/injector cleaner.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 07-05-20 at 03:05 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote