SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Cyclists 2 abreast on busy country roads (see post)?
Absolutely fine. 14 56.00%
Inconsiderate. 11 44.00%
keth d . Everyone dies. 0 0%
Keith double D I cocked up the poll 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-20, 08:35 PM   #61
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy country roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
20+ years ago there was also less vehicle traffic too . . . . less houses, less people, less roads. . . . . .
not so much in scotchland... the population up here has only grown by 1mil if that in the 20 years. its sad middle aged fekers whoz wives dont put out who have turned to sticking saddles up their arzes that are the problem and mostly by southerners who have migrated north.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 08:42 PM   #62
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
not so much in scotchland... the population up here has only grown by 1mil if that in the 20 years. its sad middle aged fekers whoz wives dont put out who have turned to sticking saddles up their arzes that are the problem and mostly by southerners who have migrated north.
Ok, just stick those sad middle aged fekers back in their cars back on the roads and see how happy you'd be on a Sunday ride out.

Those sad middle aged fekers won't be clogging up the hospitals in the future, unlike the obese lardy unfit majority of our population.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 08:46 PM   #63
Bibio
Mega Poster

Rofl...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:13 PM   #64
daktulos

Quote:
the 10MPH refers to overtaking slow moving Highway maintenance vehicles, not unpowered ones such as Cyclists, horses, pedestrians etc.
That's not my understanding, but I can't find the law, just the highway code, which says:

Quote:
You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
OK, so not 100% clear, but the way I read it the 10mph applies to all three.

Quote:
tAnd you can ride/drive in Hatched areas if it safe to do so, unless there is. aSolid white line (which applies to all solid white lines)
I was talking about the double-white lines with a small area of hatching inside them. They're not very common, but it means that there's no exception for overtaking anything going less than 10mph with them.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:15 PM   #65
daktulos

Found it:
Quote:
(6) Nothing in paragraph (2)(b) shall be taken to prohibit a vehicle from being driven across, or so as to straddle, the continuous line referred to in that paragraph, if it is safe to do so and if necessary to do so—

(a)to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road;
(b)in order to pass a stationary vehicle;
(c)owing to circumstances outside the control of the driver;
(d)in order to avoid an accident;
(e)in order to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use, is moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph, and is displaying to the rear the sign shown in diagram 610 or 7403;
(f)in order to pass a pedal cycle moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph;
(g)in order to pass a horse that is being ridden or led at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; or
(h)for the purposes of complying with any direction of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 06:48 AM   #66
Seeker
Mega Poster

It happened again yesterday for me - 3 cyclists abreast blocking a country lane having a nice chat. Couldn't they just have a picnic?
Old 03-06-20, 09:54 AM   #67
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
It happened again yesterday for me - 3 cyclists abreast blocking a country lane having a nice chat. Couldn't they just have a picnic?
I'm sorry to say the poll has tipped the other way. No matter what drivers think or the highway code advises, rolling road blocks are here to stay, chuck you keys in a river and buy some walking boots .

I for one still cannot comprehend it but will tut a little less loud and embrace the near misses I observe
Old 03-06-20, 09:57 AM   #68
Chris_SVS

As if by magic, two pedestrians walking with traffic yesterday. No overtake on due to oncoming so I didn't.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 03:10 PM   #69
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
As an ex-cyclist myself, I look at it this way: there are considerate cyclists and there are @rseholes, just as there are considerate bikers, and @rseholes that give bikers a bad name.

And for a bit of perspective, this happened last night 400 yards from where a mate of mine lives: https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...t-car-wycombe/
That bit of road is on my commute (when I'm allowed in the office) and the crash site is just at the end of a 40mph zone which almost nobody pays any attention to. Every day I get idiots flying up behind me and it is usually pretty busy in both directions, so overtakes can be dangerous at the best of times, no matter what you're passing. Anyone who knows the area comes off the M40 southbound at J5 and comes this way into Wycombe to avoid the hideous J4. So many are at near motorway speeds at this point it can be scary. Trouble is, it is scenic (ish) and a nice area to cycle in, if you like hills, so lots of people do.
Old 03-06-20, 04:50 PM   #70
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
According to the ONS Scotland statistics there has been an increase of 500K form 2003-2018.

I'm not sure how you sit on your bike, but i sit on a saddle. Not sure how that's different to any Cyclist . . . .let alone how that's even relevant to where the Cyclists have come from. I'm pretty certain Scotland decided to stay part of the UK and not leave it.

Cycling is a big industry, and brings in a lot of money to Scotland through Tourism; so no doubt a sizeable addition to the customers of Hotels & Restaurants. Places which now are probably struggling to survive due to the banning of travel and Holidays.

Scottish GDP 2018 est 202 Billion
Estimated economic from Cycling/attributed spend: 241M-362M

https://transformscotland.org.uk/wp/...ull-report.pdf

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote