SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-20, 05:15 PM   #1
gadget

Default Reg rec compatability

Hi all, apologies if this has been done to death but please hear me out and help me out if you can, I have had my reg rec test done by a sparky friend of mine (99 curvy) and the definitive conclusion was ... its goosed! So now doing a search for a reg rec upgrade ... it's just a minefield out there tbh.
Is there an upgrade / uprated reg rec for my 99 curvy that will definitely bolt straight up to the original mounting holes, has the clearance under the side panel and also has the Suzuki compatible plugs? So ... no wire chopping etc?
Although I probably will do the 'straight to battery' mod anyway IF my original wiring/connectors look at all dodgy.
So basically .... a Suzuki product that fits fine but won't blow up every 5 minutes.
Anyone actually done this mod ? If so ... exactly what did you use and most importantly ... hows it performing?
Cheers.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 05:28 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Reg rec compatability

For the curvy there are two types I know of. One has a single connector, the other has 2, depending on the year

You can get either from Electrex

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-...2ehtml#SID=439
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 05:37 PM   #3
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I bought an Elextrex one for my curvy. apart from needing slightly longer bolts and removing a bit of the loom (just an extension which unplugs) it's a direct replacement.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 08:26 PM   #4
gadget

Thanks peeps for the link and advice, seems to be exactly what I'm after. Also ... mosfet tech is right on the money. Excellent . Cheers.
Old 28-06-20, 05:17 PM   #5
daveangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I bought an Elextrex one for my curvy. apart from needing slightly longer bolts and removing a bit of the loom (just an extension which unplugs) it's a direct replacement.
How did you fit the Elextrex World one daktulos? I tried fitting one on my '99 SV650S, it's bigger than the OE and the R/H tailpiece doesn't fit back over it so I fitted a stock one & returned it for refund.

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 05:22 PM   #6
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveangel View Post
How did you fit the Elextrex World one daktulos? I tried fitting one on my '99 SV650S, it's bigger than the OE and the R/H tailpiece doesn't fit back over it so I fitted a stock one & returned it for refund.
It just slotted right in. I needed longer bolts, but physically it was about the same size. I don't have any comparison photos, unfortunately, maybe they sent you the wrong one?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 06:15 PM   #7
Davva2004

I owned a Honda CBR600F before the SV, so there’s not a lot of electrical problems I haven’t experienced - buy a Honda they said, it’ll be reliable they said.

After faffing around with various reg recs from Tourmax, Electrex and some unbranded Chinese thing that almost caused a fire, I decided to replace the whole damn lot.

I bought an Electrex upgraded stator and a Shindengen FH012AA mosfet reg reg and made my own 8AWG loom from stator to reg reg and battery. Five years of utterly hassle free riding followed. If the reg rec in my K5 ever follows suit, I’ll do the same upgrade.

Last edited by Davva2004; 28-06-20 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Davva2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 10:50 PM   #8
Ruffy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveangel View Post
Quote:
It just slotted right in. I needed longer bolts, but physically it was about the same size. I don't have any comparison photos, unfortunately, maybe they sent you the wrong one?
I upgraded to the Electrex version (RR85) early last year (2019) after the original failed on my '99 naked SV. I did find it was slightly too large to fit under the side fairing (coupled with my own preference to have very definite clear space between something that will get hot and the plastic fairing - more than feeler gauge gap wanted because I have no desire for heat deformation of the bodywork or risk of fire etc.)

In the end, a very little judicious application of the grinder to a few of the heatsink corners (lower rear IIRC) gave me the clearance I needed. It probably only needed a hand file but I'm lazy. The Electrex item is a substantial bit of kit in comparison to OEM so I had no concern about loss of performance and I'd still recommend it as an upgrade. After all, I am in the UK and ambient temperature doesn't get that high very often! Obviously this "adjustment" will invalidate warranty.

(I now wish I'd remembered to take it off before the bike went for scrap after I wrote it off last December. Grrr!)

Last edited by Ruffy; 28-06-20 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 04:46 PM   #9
gadget

Well ... on the advice given above I have taken the plunge and bought an electrex reg/rec, been reading nothing but good things about the make too so seemed a good bet. Thanks to all who weighed in on this post, very much appreciated. While on the electrickery subject ... best battery (bang for buck?)
Old 29-06-20, 07:24 PM   #10
daveangel

Thanks for the responses guys.

The stock R/R is W 8cm H 65cm D 3cm when I removed the tailpiece today.
Elextrex World one is W 8cm H 8cm D 3cm so is that extra few mm on the corners that causes the problem so you may need to take a Dremel to it gadget.
Not owning a Dremel/Grinder or big file I've found a Tourmax replacement which is rectangular and closer in shape to the OE so can check the output once it & a new battery are refitted.

Hopefully bright lights and normal voltages all round when they turn up!

Probably the Yuasa YT12A-BS as fitted originally, I've always stuck with them

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .

Last edited by daveangel; 29-06-20 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added info
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote