SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-07, 08:18 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Voltage regulator / rectifier

Ok chaps and chapesses, my voltage regulator appears to be giving me greif (after some extensive probing of the electrical circuit, after my bike decided it didnt want to start one time despite having ridden it for ages - seems the lights are draining the battery)

So, where can I get one from, and how much is it going to cost me? No offers of a second hand one please, I'd rather get a new one and be done with it

Seems you arn't a true suzuki sv650 owner till you've replaced this part

Matt
Old 16-08-07, 09:20 AM   #2
andyb

Default Re: Voltage regulator / rectifier

Hi Matt,

I had this problem too, I know you said you didnt want second hand but it may be worth investing in a Hon*a one. If you search under reg/rec and author Sid_Squid he's written many times about it. I swapped mine with a Hon*a one and all seems to be OK. (I think they're meant to be more reliable)
Old 16-08-07, 09:41 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Have to agree the Honda ones are better, but you need to be able to cut off the honda wiring and solder in place the connectors from the original suzuki RR.

I replaced mine with one from a 2006 CBR600. There were a couple of extra wires. but a quick check against a honda wiring diagram told me they simply needed to be joined as 2+ and 2- wires instead on the single ones on the SV
Old 16-08-07, 10:05 AM   #4
riktherider

i had the same problem. battery went dead continuosly. changed the battery for a new one and overcharged. seems to be ok for the time being, but i am waiting for a decent honda one to come up on ebay though. you can buy aftermarket ones for about £60 but apparently they arnt recomended
Old 16-08-07, 11:31 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Blimey, it's like going back to the 80's, chopping in Honda stuff. You can get connector blocks from www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk you could make up an "adapter" so you don't have to chop the block off the main loom.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-07, 11:49 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Blimey, it's like going back to the 80's, chopping in Honda stuff. You can get connector blocks from www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk you could make up an "adapter" so you don't have to chop the block off the main loom.
Makes more sense to chop the plugs off your dodgy reg/rec really

I did the Honda swap, it works, and I've never heard of one failing- buying a used one's always a gamble but the Honda ones seem to be a better bet than most. However... I do have a brand new K2 reg/rec in the garage, which I fitted for long enough to test. It has a different plug block from the earlier SVs, and possibly also the later ones too but it would be dead easy to change that if you wanted. Eh... Probably £50 is what I'm after for that?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-07, 03:53 PM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

I fitted one from a Gixxer. Had to chop the wires, but it was simple enough to do. Got it off my good friend ebay for a tenner It works fine.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote