SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-04, 11:45 PM   #1
snoopy

Default Front Fork Options

I know this has been posted in drabs before but now I need some clear cut advice all in one thread. I intend to update my front forks to upside down types, ideally those lovely gold ones on pictures I can currently not find...

Please could someone tell me what I should be checking ebay for over the next couple months. I'd like something that is quick 'n' easy to fit - gsxr? What specs do I need.

Also my front wheel is slightly buckled and one of my discs is buckled too so no big deal on having to replace the wheel, discs and brake caliper if need be.

Are these any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...940526922&rd=1

Andy.
Old 13-12-04, 12:22 AM   #2
BURNER

They can be made to fit, your steering stem needs to fitted into SRAD bottom yoke. You'll need new calipers, lose your speedo drive and eiother have to modify wheel or buy a new one. You'll also need new discs.

Buying a USD front end in bits is a bloomin' expensive way of going about it. Look for a complete GSXR750/1000/1100 front end and pay the £500-700 it'll be cheaper in the long run.

I sold my last one for £450 complete for a 1990 GSXR750L set up.
Old 14-12-04, 04:42 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

For the bearings, speak to TWF from SV Rider, he makes 'em. he reckons the Showa ones are best, don't know what years are which though. There's a trick to moving the speedo drive onto the rear wheel that seems to work...

Can you put the SV ignition parts into the GSXR yokes, i wonder?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-04, 01:27 AM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front Fork Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
I know this has been posted in drabs before but now I need some clear cut advice all in one thread. I intend to update my front forks to upside down types, ideally those lovely gold ones on pictures I can currently not find...

Please could someone tell me what I should be checking ebay for over the next couple months. I'd like something that is quick 'n' easy to fit - gsxr? What specs do I need.

Also my front wheel is slightly buckled and one of my discs is buckled too so no big deal on having to replace the wheel, discs and brake caliper if need be.

Are these any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...940526922&rd=1

Andy.
Pre SRAD forks should bolt straight in. Not sure if the steering stops are in the right place(probably are)

SRAD You can either get the bearing asmentioned by northwind or take out the stem from the SRAD and put the one from the SV in its place. The steering stops are in the right spot but the steering lock will not work. I think it should not be too difficult to sort that out as it appears it only need a bit of shimming to move the ignition barrel down. Did not get round to it before change of plans.

from 2000 on wards the only other one I've got experience with is the GSXR1000(gold forks). Same as the SRAD, you either buy the special bearing or press the GSXR1000 stem out and press in the SV stem in it's place. The steering stop are not in the right place and again not a biggie to sort. The steering lock will not work and seems not as easy to sort out as the ignition barrel is off set in the GSXR100 top yoke.

For the GIxer SRAD and Gixer K1/K2 you will also need a shim` for the top yoke as the Gixer stem is larger at the top.

With all of them you need every part of the font end. The only bits on the SV you can use is your switch gear and clutch bits. At a push you could probably use you brake master cylinder as it's the same bore size but I think the stroke is different. With regards to the special bearing my personal choich is the stem swap as you can then buy the bearing of the shelf.

As Burner says Ideally you want to buy a complete front end but the most important bits are to get the forks/ yokes and mud guard(can be a pain to get) and maybe caliper. The hardest part is finding a wheel normally. All the front end I've seen only a few have been sold with a front wheel. Anothe thing is that the 1000 wheel has a different three spoke design but the SRAD wheel which has the same three spoke design as the SV will fit(giving you a matching front and rear if you use the GSXR1000 forks). best way to get a guide price is to put a search out on 'part search' , 'part finder' etc to see what the breakers are charging for a complete end and go from there.

Right I hope someone made some sense of all that . Not really difficult and while we are on the topic I have got a front end off a GSXR1000 K1/K2 with the yokes modified to fit suit the SV(classic shape) and also a pair of mirror polished SRAD yokes(also drilled to accept handlebar clamps) modified to suit the SV.

I was going to use the Gixer 1000 forks on my SV1000 but decided to get the Gixer1000K3 ones with radial this and that and just bought a complete front end a few days ago.

You can actually use the SRAD yokes with the K1/K2 forks but you have to shim the calliper a tiny bit as the centre to centre distance is different on the SRAD and the K1/K2. Again sound complicated but it's not. That is what I did as I wanted the polished SRAD yokes.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-04, 01:40 AM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front Fork Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
They could be I can't really say if they are SRAD forks as the pics is not very clear. I would be slightly worried about bidding on them as for someone doing a street fighter project the statement ' when i purchased them i was told they came off a gsxr 750 srad, they measure 730mm from centre of spindle to top of fork' makes me slightly uneasy .

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
Old 15-12-04, 09:27 AM   #6
Topcat

Whilst on the front fork question, would it be possible to put a set of 03 SV1000s forks with yorkes on to a SV650s 03 ? Also is it possible to use a front wheel from a 00/01 bike on an 03 bike, are they compatible ?
Old 15-12-04, 09:54 AM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat
Whilst on the front fork question, would it be possible to put a set of 03 SV1000s forks with yorkes on to a SV650s 03 ? Also is it possible to use a front wheel from a 00/01 bike on an 03 bike, are they compatible ?
I believe the bearings are same so the yoke should bolt on. Whether the lock stops are in the right position is a different matter(not a big issue though as quite easily sorted). Keeping the steering lock is the only think you have to be really careful off(if you must). Off hand I don't think the wheels are compatible as the K3 650 has a larger diametre front wheel spindle but could possibly be made to fit without to much bother. I like making things go in where they were not originally designed to fit.

I'll have a look to see what the differences are apart from the obvious between the two anyway. You have got me wondering now

Cheers
Ben
Old 17-12-04, 08:10 PM   #8
snoopy

Ah crap I certainly am not going to mess with the steering locks. Can't I just get some forks with the same diameter and use the same yokes? Is there nothing like this available?

I've not actually took the forks apart but it looks like the fork goes straight through the bottom yolk and up to the top?
Old 17-12-04, 09:40 PM   #9
BURNER

No, USD forks are always thicker so the tubes are approx 50-54mm.
On the subject of steering locks. You'll need to check your insurance details beacause lack of them can, in some cases, invalidate your cover.
Old 17-12-04, 10:07 PM   #10
snoopy

* edited as answer posted above *