SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-01-20, 09:04 AM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: dehumidifier running costs

I appreciate all the suggestions although I wasn't looking for any, it was merely a post indicating the running cost of a dehumidifier in case anyone was thinking of purchasing one.

The source of my damp is our climate acting on a pref-fab concrete garage. Here's Grimsby's weekly weather (it's close enough to where I live).

If you look near the bottom of the chart it indicates the relative humidity and percentages in the 90s are not uncommon, the lowest % is 62 (which is unusual for this area at this time of year). My new garage sits on a new concrete base built on top of where the old garage used to sit, both have (or had) high humidity (in the Winter). As far as I'm concerned it's the nature of the beast so I had a choice - try and ventilate better with fans which might work (and I had attempted earlier with only partial success) or buy a dehumidifier which would (and does) work. The dehumidifier would allow me to reduce the humidity around the bike to 40% if so desired -fyi it's currently 45% in my hall and 53% in my bathroom right now (I showered) - I have a lot of humidity gauges from when I was working. 50% is considered "normal", below 40% is considered "dry" and above 60% "wet".

In the Summer, the dehumidifier will be off but in the Winter it's £10/mo to run at 60% rH.
Old 27-01-20, 07:14 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: dehumidifier running costs

Dessicant humidifiers are well known for their higher running costs as the material has to be heated regularly to make it dry again... the compressor types work like reverse cycle airconditioning and get back the latent heat of vaporization of water when it condenses on heat exchanger plus the heat from motor goes into the room, and dry air is easier to heat and dry walls are better insulation. Compressor type struggles below about 5degC though, and that is where dessicant type is better.. we have been running Ebac compressor type in our house for decades now, and house always feels warm and dry, towels dry quickly and bed linen never feels damp, always nice and crisp. I originally got a dehumidifier to control dust mite allergy, as they can't breed below 50% humidity.... but the other benefits are well worth it...and cheaper to run, maybe even a net gain..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote