SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-04-20, 09:03 PM   #21
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Roof cycle racks

Keith I can't use one of those, is the short answer, so I have already got roof bars and a couple of Atera holders, but I have one question about the Thule Freeride.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 12:54 PM   #22
DJ123
Mega Poster

How many bikes do you need to carry at one time/on a regular basis?

IIRC getting a tow-bar fitted and wired in (yourself, or professionally) is not overly expensive, and there are a lot of tow bar bike carriers on Ebay for less than half the retail cost people no longer use.

It also means when you move on to your next vehicle you can still keep the bike carrier, or anybody can buy it as you don't need a specific mounting kit.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 05:28 PM   #23
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Johhny, if I remember correctly the Freerides have a plastic buckle type strap that goes through the wheel and you pull it tight. Plastic version of the strap Mav mentioned.
Yes they do. I have three of them and they come with straps than cinch the wheel down into the track. As long as you pull them tight the wheels don't move/wobble a bit on the road. Very well made bits of kit.
Old 18-04-20, 06:28 PM   #24
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Thanks Trev, I watched a youtube vid and it showed them sliding the show thing under the wheels and attaching the strap, but it wasn't clear if you could still then slide them back and forth. The ones on the Atera Giros clamp down in place before you strap the wheels on. They're good carriers.

DJ I've ended up with a roof rack as Hobson's choice. I couldn't have a towbar one (which are supposed to be very good) as the car isn't type approved for towing so to fit one for any reason would invalidate the warranty, and the car is only 3 years old. It thus has no wiring, the kit is about £250. You can get a sort of similar towbar cycle rack, there is a part to fit to the car, and you would normally fit another part to it that has a towing hitch on it, but instead you fit the cycle rack (so it's the same but without a towball in the middle of it, all one piece). These are about £280, so all in it's a pricey option, and they carry three bikes. I think if I face them all forwards then the roof rack holds three, but if i were to face one backwards I might squeeze on a fourth, which may be handy. I can't use a tailgate one as the edges are glass. Something like a Saris Bones would fit, but I'd need lights/number plate, so add £250++ again. It's been a right laugh I can tell you, at least I got the bars and 2x Ateras for a total of £130 from Fleabay, and Toyota do a Freeride pattern unbranded jobby for £35 delivered. I used to have a single cab Hilux and you could just lob the bikes in the back!
Old 18-04-20, 06:35 PM   #25
Kenzie

Not only would be possibly invalidate the warranty it would also good your insurance if you fitted a tow bar to a non approved vehicle.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-20, 03:27 PM   #26
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The sliding things are just to accommodate different wheelbases and mean you have a slightly wider track to aim for when lifting the bike on. Useful if you have wide tyres too that would otherwise sit on the main track which would be less stable. Once you cinch the wheels down the "trays" don't move.

I've used three facing forward on a Focus with no issues and have seen four abreast on other cars with alternating forward backwards orientation.
Old 19-04-20, 04:10 PM   #27
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Thanks Trev, I watched a youtube vid and it showed them sliding the show thing under the wheels and attaching the strap, but it wasn't clear if you could still then slide them back and forth. The ones on the Atera Giros clamp down in place before you strap the wheels on. They're good carriers.

DJ I've ended up with a roof rack as Hobson's choice. I couldn't have a towbar one (which are supposed to be very good) as the car isn't type approved for towing so to fit one for any reason would invalidate the warranty, and the car is only 3 years old. It thus has no wiring, the kit is about £250. You can get a sort of similar towbar cycle rack, there is a part to fit to the car, and you would normally fit another part to it that has a towing hitch on it, but instead you fit the cycle rack (so it's the same but without a towball in the middle of it, all one piece). These are about £280, so all in it's a pricey option, and they carry three bikes. I think if I face them all forwards then the roof rack holds three, but if i were to face one backwards I might squeeze on a fourth, which may be handy. I can't use a tailgate one as the edges are glass. Something like a Saris Bones would fit, but I'd need lights/number plate, so add £250++ again. It's been a right laugh I can tell you, at least I got the bars and 2x Ateras for a total of £130 from Fleabay, and Toyota do a Freeride pattern unbranded jobby for £35 delivered. I used to have a single cab Hilux and you could just lob the bikes in the back!
That's a PITA you can't even fit a tow bar to make the car more practical! TBH it's one of the things I look for on a car these days.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-20, 09:58 PM   #28
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yeah I know, not something I'd normally need but could be handy. It's something to do with the cooling capacity of the hybrid system. I don't know if there are other hybrids without that restriction, maybe the even newer plug-in ones as I guess they have more electric power on tap. They're very complex things!

Thanks Trev!

Last edited by johnnyrod; 19-04-20 at 10:00 PM.
Old 20-04-20, 09:59 AM   #29
keith_d
Mega Poster

I had a similar problem with my Mondeo estate. It was not type approved for towing, so no towbars available and when I looked underneath there was a silencer running right across behind the rear bumper.

Rumour on the internet forums (for what it's worth) was that the clutch design couldn't take the stress when towing so Ford decided to prevent anyone installing a towbar.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote