SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-09-08, 11:08 AM   #1
rob13

Default DSLR Camera questions.

Ive been using a "bridge" cam in the Panasonic FZ7 for the last couple of years but im now thinking about whether to get a DSLR. The only issue is that I have enjoyed the versatile lens on the FZ7 which effectively stretches to over 400mm. It appears that Nikon or Canon are the photographers choice but which model? It would have to be entry level (couldnt afford 4 figures including lens) and same goes for lenses.

My cam is great for a lot of stuff but I get frustrated with it when trying to catch low light situations. The noise on anything above 200 ISO means its not worth going up higher
Old 16-09-08, 11:15 AM   #2
trickywoos

Default Re: DSLR Camera questions.

I'm a Canon girl- 400d. And I LOVE it!!!

I started playing with it at low light the other day....and it was fantastic. Really really impressed. I have a 70-210mm and a 70-300mm as well as the 18-55mm that came with it. It's a fantastic entry level camera. I use the 300mm trackside. I can show you some examples of pics if you want.

I've compared the quality of the pictures that come from this one to the Nikon- and my friend preferred the colour that came with the Canon.

However, I have a lot of friends who do prefer the Nikon.
Old 16-09-08, 11:46 AM   #3
stewie

Im waiting for the upgrade to the D80, Ive got an FZ8 and dont really like it tbh, but want to wait till the new Nikon D90 comes out though.
Old 16-09-08, 11:47 AM   #4
Manguish

Play with them is the best bet. The 400d is too small for my money, to hold.

Where the 40d is more user holdable

All much of a muchness imo - quality is comparable with all similar models.

Try em for size is the best bet.
Old 16-09-08, 11:49 AM   #5
rob13

trickywoos how much did those lenses cost you? 3 lenses must have been a fortune?

Stewie, I think the FZ8 is basically the same as mine, but higher MP. I always weigh up whether its my technique that fails to create the images, or whether its the camera, which questions whether I need to step up to a DSLR.
Old 16-09-08, 11:54 AM   #6
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
trickywoos how much did those lenses cost you? 3 lenses must have been a fortune?

Stewie, I think the FZ8 is basically the same as mine, but higher MP. I always weigh up whether its my technique that fails to create the images, or whether its the camera, which questions whether I need to step up to a DSLR.
Ive never had a bridge camera before and feels too plasticky and lightweight for me tbh, although the results are ok, from what Ive read as well the FZ7 was a better camera than the FZ8 apparently, Panasonic didnt do enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade it seems, Ive always had SLR,s and miss the size and bulk of an SLR
Check this out though, may help http://www.dpreview.com/ although tbh you,ve probably already seen this site before.
Old 16-09-08, 11:55 AM   #7
trickywoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Not at all- the 18-55 came with the camera, the 70-210 was one from my old SLR, and the 70-300mm is £70 off fleabay! (Canon make- F4-5.6)
Old 16-09-08, 11:56 AM   #8
trickywoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manguish View Post
Play with them is the best bet. The 400d is too small for my money, to hold.
Ah, I am female, small hands.
Although my dad gets on with it fine- he put the extra battery grip on tho.
Old 16-09-08, 12:01 PM   #9
trickywoos

www.warehouseexpress.com were good for deals when we were searching, although try Amazon as they have great deals at the moment.

London Camera Exchange have been good too, great for advice, and you can go in and try any assortment of camera out. Although branches mainly in south of UK.... http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/
Old 16-09-08, 12:07 PM   #10
redshift

+1 for the Canon. I've got a fairly elderly 20D that can go to ISO3200 for flash-free photos in very low light. Combine this with an image stabilised lens and you can take cracking print-quality photos that can be blown up to A2. Have a look on ebay for the older models such as the 20D/30D, I bet they are going quite cheap now.