SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-11, 05:58 PM   #1
F4LL3N

Default Luggage Options with Pillion in Mind

Hi All,

I have recently got myself a SV650S (200 that I am very happy with . I am looking for a tail rack to ideally hold a weight of around 9KG (mainly my large holdall bag full of clothes, toiletries etc.).

Using the passenger seat is not an option as I will have my girlfriend on the back. I have been reading about the renntec racks and the ventura but can not figure out what would be the best option for my purpose as I would like to use my own bag if possible and in the future be able to have both the tail rack and the option for hard panniers at the same time (Givi luggage or equivalent). I was told at the garage I purchase the bike from that I couldn't have the rack and hard panniers .

Just wondering what everyone else has done? I only need a tail rack for now as just going to Bruges next month for about 4 days, 2 of which are traveling to and from. For long trips in the future obviously I would like to add hard panniers.

Any help on this dilemma is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-05-11, 06:22 PM   #2
badsaboy

Default Re: Luggage Options with Pillion in Mind

i have a renntech but you cant load it very much. it says 2kg on it but im sure you could get a little more maybe 3-4kg. I use soft panniers and it works a treat. one myself and one for the mrs.
good luck
Old 10-05-11, 06:33 PM   #3
F4LL3N

Hi thanks for the reply. I think that weight might be a little low. As for the panniers, id like hard luggage really for the longer trips - more secure I guess! Has anybody had any luck with Ventura or other types?
Old 10-05-11, 06:46 PM   #4
xXBADGERXx

The Givi/Kappa rack supports itself by fixing to the subframe and to the grab rail , you can then use the plate as a rack or click a topbox into it
Old 10-05-11, 07:35 PM   #5
F4LL3N

Thanks for the reply! Do you know how much weight it takes? Can you link me to it please? Many thanks! =)
Old 10-05-11, 08:00 PM   #6
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Givi/Kappa can take 10kg in each pannier and 3kg in the top box (by regs,) but, I know pretty well that a couple of percent more won't kill the system or you
Old 10-05-11, 08:05 PM   #7
xXBADGERXx

Heck , I carried a whole vice in mine for loads of miles , Yorkie Chris has seen it and the vice is a beast , it`s more to do with the strength of the box and the lugs that lock into each other and I have easily exceeded the recommended limits
Old 10-05-11, 08:16 PM   #8
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Heck , I carried a whole vice in mine for loads of miles , Yorkie Chris has seen it and the vice is a beast , it`s more to do with the strength of the box and the lugs that lock into each other and I have easily exceeded the recommended limits

That was kind of what I was getting at, they are pretty robust. It is more a H&S bail out the limits they put in the boxes
Old 10-05-11, 08:17 PM   #9
xXBADGERXx

Yeah , deffo a bail out , I even filled mine with Beer and JD and soft drinks when I owed a few people some Beer at the GMII and that was pretty heavy too
Old 11-05-11, 09:02 AM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I use soft Oxford panniers. There's a fabric plate thing that goes on the pillion seat, Mrs Rod sits on it, and they can hold a lot. Where they want to hang will cover up the pillion pegs on a curvy so I have to persuade the whole lot backwards about 8" and made some brackets to move the rear indis back to suit. Works pretty well for us.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote