SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-08-11, 02:50 PM   #1
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Solar panels

Just had PV Solar panels installed over the past few days, 21 panels on my roof. I never knew that watching the elec meter could be so fun

The best thing is, even though today hasnt been the sunniest, my system is pushing out just under 3KW and my elec meter is going backwards!

flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 02:58 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Solar panels

Cool, you should be able to sell some back to the leccy board

Bet them cost a small fortune didn't they?
Old 07-08-11, 03:01 PM   #3
skeetly

How much did they cost?
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 04:22 PM   #4
Amplimator

+1

Theres a lot of these being fitted locally just lately and ive been considering this myself. Do they require any maintenance?
Old 07-08-11, 04:32 PM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Cool, you should be able to sell some back to the leccy board

Bet them cost a small fortune didn't they?
Yep, the way it works is under a government scheme that includes a 'Feed In Tarrif'. This is what makes it financially viable, its aim being to encourage adoption and help to reduce the cost of the technology over time. If you dont have a smart meter (which I dont) then the assumption is that you will supply 50% of what you generate back to the grid, wether or not that is really the case. So, cool thing is that you can be paid for supplying it, actually use that same energy yourself and in addition not have to buy what you would have done previously from the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetly View Post
How much did they cost?
Totally depends on the size of an installation but for 21 panels, all the accessories and installation cost me just under £14K. Pay back time is calculated at around 8 or 9 years, after that its pure profit. The feed in tarrif is index linked and guaranteed for 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
+1

Theres a lot of these being fitted locally just lately and ive been considering this myself. Do they require any maintenance?
No real maintenance no, unless something fails of course. One point that got raised by Which was over the inverter, its a box that sits in your loft and inverts the incoming DC to useable AC. If these fail then they cost about a grand to replace, they have fairly long warranties though at around 10 years, the panels even longer.

For my system, over its 25 year predicted life span it should earn around £55K profit and save me a cr@p load of electricity purchase.
Old 07-08-11, 04:33 PM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

I'll post some pics a little later.
Old 07-08-11, 04:37 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
For my system, over its 25 year predicted life span it should earn around £55K profit and save me a cr@p load of electricity purchase.
Which is why Deborah Meadan said on Dragons Den the other night its better than having money in the bank as you're getting about 10% return on your investment, don't know if her figures are correct, but anythings better than the current interst rate.

Interesting to know that the Feed In guarenteed for 25years, thats good to know
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 04:48 PM   #8
Jabba

We're thinking of going down this route as it's a heck of a saving for us given the huge lecky bills we have. Need to get in fairly soon though, as the govt are proposing changes to the feed-in tariff starting next April.

If you don't have the up-front dosh there are schemes to allow the company to bear the cost of the install and to effectively "rent your roof". You'll still save dosh

Trouble is, I've seen some installations that are not the best aesthetically......
Old 07-08-11, 04:57 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Can I have a link to the company you used please? We are intending to do this and would like a recommendation, rather than trolling around.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:05 PM   #10
Specialone

Its the £14k i couldnt stomach, but i love saving money as much as the next person.