SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-15, 11:10 PM   #1
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default Putting a CAT C back on the road?

As above... Im buying an SV which is structurally sound, just a couple of scratched panels and dinted tank etc.
Now, i've put a deposit on it, from a proper dealer about 30 miles away from me, and should be delivering it saturday morning..
Now, im aware i need to apply for the V5, but im now getting confused with which order to get it insured/taxed/mot'd/VIC/V5 application..

Has anyone ever done this before and can explain the steps? And can i ride it to the VIC place to get it checked? Or ride it to its MOT station?

Sorry for sounding stupid.. but, well yeh.

Thanks in advance..
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-15, 11:20 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Putting a CAT C back on the road?

a cat c should come with the V5 as far as i know (unless the insurance company has kept it) all that is required to put it back on the road is an MOT. if you do have to apply for a V5 then you will need this to get tax. so it goes like this.. insurance first, V5, MOT, tax.

you cant take any vehicle on the road without insurance but you can take it for an mot without v5 and tax as long as you book the bike in for the mot.

now remember that the bike will be registered as a cat c so when applying for insurance you might pay a little more. now the complications that might arise are that the insurance company might want to see an mot before they will insure it, they also might want pictures to make sure that the work has been done. if this happens then you will have no alternative but to trailer the bike to the mot station.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-15, 11:39 PM   #3
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Very useful info.. It hasnt got a V5, but what about the VIC? Vehicle Identification Certificate?

"In the case of Category C the vehicle will have to undergo a VOSA Vehicle Identification Check (VIC) to validate its identity. However the VIC does not check the safety or quality of any repair."

Thoughts?
Old 29-01-15, 12:01 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

you might have to go to your nearest VOSA station with the bike unless your mot inspector can do it for you. when you do go for the VIC then make sure that the lower fairings or belly pan are not on the bike as they will have to check the engine number.
Old 29-01-15, 12:36 AM   #5
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

The nearest VOSA stn is like 30 miles away, can I ride it there?
Old 29-01-15, 01:18 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you have insurance for the bike and its booked in then yes. a VOSA station is just a fancy MOT station that is run directly by VOSA.

seems that VOSA is now DVSA. https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ervices-agency might be worth giving them a phone or sending an email off to them and find out for sure what the score is. also ask if you can get an MOT at the same time as the VIC as it will save you two trips.
Old 29-01-15, 09:05 AM   #7
tj2

Hi please note the info below............

Info from http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/articles...off-categories

Considering buying a salvage motorcycle written-off and fixing it up ?

Tempting, if you are handy with the spanners. So what does "Category C total loss" mean....
Briefly:
  • Category A - Vehicle must be crushed. All of it.
  • Category B - Bike may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.
  • Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of bike.
  • Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.
  • Category F - Damaged by fire.
  • Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage.
In more detail:
Category A - May not be resold. Entire motorcycle must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water). Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell. DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".
Category B - Motorcycle itself may not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural/frame damage. DVLA require "Notification of Destruction". Parts can be removed and sold.
Category C - Repairable salvage. Usually applies to motorcycles with significant frame damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value. Can be sold complete to Motorcycle Trade or Public. Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA. You re-apply, to DVLA or at your local VRO, for registration on the original identity once you have fixed it up, MOTed it and want to Tax it. Re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).
There is a difference between cars (and presumably vans, lorries, caravanettes..) and bikes when re-registering. Motorcycles do not need a VIC inspection, cars do. Cars (and vans...) sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection before returning to the road.
VIC inspection - Straight from VOSA's web site "[The VIC] will involve comparing the vehicle presented against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number. The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the vehicle."
Officially, the VIC does not check roadworthiness. If any significant defects are present, they can prevent it being used, but it is not a check of vehicle condition or roadworthiness. VIC tets centres in major towns, list on VOSA's site. It costs £35 (early 2005).
Motorcycles do not need this VIC inspection. (Lets not get into whether this is a good or bad thing - you probably have a view somewhere between 'one less hoop to jump through' and 'so do they not care about stolen bikes being rung !'). Whatever, bikes do not need a VIC inspection.
It used to be unclear, but VOSA have re-written some of the pages on their web site. Some of their pages still say 'all vehicles', but some pages now say 'cars need....'. From 2 sources, we now have clear evidence of people being told, one in writing, that "Motorcycles do not come under the Vehicle Identity Check Scheme therefore your vehicle will not require one.".
Having said that, when you go to insure it, the Insurance Company will obviously know it was Category C, and may insist on an Engineer's Report on the quality of repairs and the roadworthiness of the vehicle. Some do, some don't.
Category D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so. Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair. Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

I hope this is of use

VIC is NOT required for motorcycles !!!!!!!!!

Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-15, 10:05 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You need to apply for a V5C.

There is a form, titled "apply for a V5C" or something similarly descriptive.

On said form, you will find instructions. You will find it simple, straightforward and free for catC bikes.

Now, since you seem to need it holding for you, will you need it shaking for you when you're done as well?
Old 29-01-15, 10:07 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Here it is for you, saved you the trouble...
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...62W_290714.pdf

Aren't I nice
Old 29-01-15, 12:04 PM   #10
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Terry, thanks for the info thats taken a weight off my shoulders.

And Chris, that ain't English