SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-19, 05:06 PM   #1
gadget

Default Random Main dealer estimate!

So ... I decided to phone my local Suzuki dealer (kent) for a quote on balancing my carbs (1999 curvy... 11 000 miles).
Waited on hold for a couple of minutes and then got the reply of ... well ... it might take half hour or could takes 5 hours!
At dealership rates that equates to roughly an arm and the best part of both legs! Plus the vat if it took the full 5 hours.
When I questioned it I was told that most carb models take the full 5 hours and sometimes even longer.
Also got the feeling he wasn't at all interested in doing the job anyway as he said ... well.. let me know if you want me to 'have a go' !
Real confidence inspiring eh.. NOT. And this was from a main dealer!!
Anyway... as I'm still searching ... can anyone recommend a really good mechanic that can do the balancing job on my sv650s and take the kind of care over doing the job as I do when working on my bike in my local area (Dover) or within reasonable travelling distance.
Would be great to find someone based on good previous experiences.
Any help would be much appreciated.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-19, 06:00 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Random Main dealer estimate!

Sounds more like an apprentice time scale to me
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-19, 06:23 PM   #3
GeorgeRYoung

In case you get the urge to do it yourself:

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/carbSynch.html

Pretty low cost.
Old 23-10-19, 06:51 PM   #4
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
In case you get the urge to do it yourself:

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/carbSynch.html

Pretty low cost.
Would like to have a go at it myself tbh but I literally have no garage or shed to do it in, bike is kept in front of house so the chances of me doing it in this weather is nil. Hence why I'm looking for someone to sort it for me, was hoping for a recommendation from some peeps on here of anyone in my area that can and is willing to take the job on.
Old 23-10-19, 06:59 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Agree with the do it yourself comments but appreciate it's not always easy to do without a shed, garage or driveway. I used to do mine when I had a Curvy and it was dead easy with a Carbtune.
Old 24-10-19, 12:00 AM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Main dealers are not interested in working on older bikes, to them its just not worth it. They just want to sell you a new bike and do the first couple of services and change the exhaust can for you. But occasionally they have to do some more complicated warranty work. After a couple of years with a bike they want to get you onto the latest finance deal and to part ex your current ride.

What you need is a good independent, but from my experience these are getting harder to find as more and more are shutting down which I feel is a shame as carrying out the work yourself isn't for everyone. I don't know your area so can't offer any recommendations, but good luck with your search.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 03:41 AM   #7
ZX9R

Sorting carbs is not that hard. From cases where they need a total rebuild or just a quick tune.
Balancing even 6 carbs is easy once you understand what you are doing.
One of the first jobs i do when i get a new to me carb bike is sort the carbs out.
And to make like easier i alway add some pipe to the carb vacuum points for balancing so i can just lift the tank, remove the airbox and plug in.
its as easy as changing a spark plug or dropping the oil.
And with the help you can get from internet forums these days, it's always worth giving it a go yourself.
if you was near me i would have said pop over and i'll show you how it's done so you can do it yourself next time.

Last edited by ZX9R; 24-10-19 at 03:45 AM.
ZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 10:41 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
So ... I decided to phone my local Suzuki dealer (kent) for a quote on balancing my carbs (1999 curvy... 11 000 miles).
Waited on hold for a couple of minutes and then got the reply of ... well ... it might take half hour or could takes 5 hours!
At dealership rates that equates to roughly an arm and the best part of both legs! Plus the vat if it took the full 5 hours.
When I questioned it I was told that most carb models take the full 5 hours and sometimes even longer.
Also got the feeling he wasn't at all interested in doing the job anyway as he said ... well.. let me know if you want me to 'have a go' !
Real confidence inspiring eh.. NOT. And this was from a main dealer!!
Anyway... as I'm still searching ... can anyone recommend a really good mechanic that can do the balancing job on my sv650s and take the kind of care over doing the job as I do when working on my bike in my local area (Dover) or within reasonable travelling distance.
Would be great to find someone based on good previous experiences.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Buy a Carbtune 2 and do them yourself.Absolute doddle with the CB2

Costs about 1 hour of garage labour charges.

Click here,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

http://www.carbtune.co.uk

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-10-19 at 10:46 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 06:32 PM   #9
gadget

Thanks all for the feedback, of course I would do the job myself but as said earlier ... I don't have anywhere to do it as my bike is literally on the road, so weather as it is atm.... a bit of a no go. Having said all this, I think I have found a firm that can sort it for me and at a decent rate too, so when it's all done i will report back wit my findings .. good or bad.
Cheers all for your input.
Old 24-10-19, 06:38 PM   #10
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9R View Post
Sorting carbs is not that hard. From cases where they need a total rebuild or just a quick tune.
Balancing even 6 carbs is easy once you understand what you are doing.
One of the first jobs i do when i get a new to me carb bike is sort the carbs out.
And to make like easier i alway add some pipe to the carb vacuum points for balancing so i can just lift the tank, remove the airbox and plug in.
its as easy as changing a spark plug or dropping the oil.
And with the help you can get from internet forums these days, it's always worth giving it a go yourself.
if you was near me i would have said pop over and i'll show you how it's done so you can do it yourself next time.
Cheers fella, very kind offer but yeah... that is a bit of a trek eh!
Think I may have it sorted v soon as found local garage that sounds promising. Will post findings when done. Cheers.