SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-03-20, 08:12 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Jeff Bezos (Amazon)

what TAX is it exactly that the person who owns amazon is supposed to be evading?

income tax?
employee tax?
VAT?
import tax?
import duty?

if its income tax then you cant expect someone who lives in another country to pay income tax here in the UK.. thats just nutz.

people who slag the mega rich are usually jealous as they have nothing.. its not the rich persons fault that the poor are poor. its the poor persons fault that they dont have the brains or indeed risk taking ability to succeed. why should a rich successful person give their money away to people who wont or cant take a chance. employing them is enough is it not even if the working conditions are supposed to be bad. to these people i say go get a job in India then tell me what bad working conditions are.

the people in western world country's need to get a furkin grip of reality and stop spending all their money on "trinkets" or if they feel that bad about poverty then give all your own money away..................... if you are in poverty and cant get out then who's fault is it coz its not the rich person. its easy to blame others.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 08:38 PM   #12
Seeker
Mega Poster

It's Amazon the company that is avoiding taxes.

1) partially pay employees with shares instead of full salary
2) all UK Amazon purchases go through Luxembourg so although we know that sales have increased we don't know how much tax is paid. Which seems bizarre.

It's summarised here: https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...-so-little-tax
or here:
https://www.taxjustice.net/2018/08/1...tax-in-the-uk/

The problem is that the loopholes exist and successive governments seem reluctant to close them. I wrote to my MP (waste of space Martin Vickers) and was told it was difficult to close loopholes. It seems to me it's only difficult if no one is trying. Some of the worst tax shelters are under UK jurisdiction (eg: Cayman Islands)
Sentiment seems to be changing with an increasing clamour for a digital tax but unless all countries sign on the large companies will keep exploiting loopholes. Then we have France announcing a digital tax followed by Trump threatening tariffs against them.

Last word about Jeff Bezos - he earns $149,500 per minute.

Last edited by Seeker; 03-03-20 at 08:44 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 08:08 AM   #13
Craig380
Mega Poster

See my earlier post, Bibs. Why did my small, 10-person company pay more UK corporation tax in 2017 than Facebook, which at the time had 2,300 UK employees and UK revenues of nearly a billion pounds?

It's because Facebook aggressively avoids paying taxes on its UK profits by a Russian-doll structure of holding companies, with the parent firms in low- or zero-tax jurisdictions. The fact is, small and growing firms are easy targets for tax authorities, whereas larger companies can set up complex holding structures to evade tax.

Yes, it's 'legal.' But as Seeker said, it isn't ethical.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 05:48 AM   #14
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not the rich persons fault that the poor are poor.
What the absolute F???
The entire point of capitalism is to keep the majority of money under the control of a few mega wealthy people.
Old 06-03-20, 08:45 AM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
What the absolute F???
The entire point of capitalism is to keep the majority of money under the control of a few mega wealthy people.
Most economists seem to agree that if the money in the world was divided up equally that in 5 years time the same people would be rich and the same ones poor.

John D Rockerfeller was walking through New York when a homeless man started shouting at him, "you rich people are selfish, why don't you give money away to others", Rockerfeller replied "well OK, I am worth 200 million dollars, and as it happens there are about 200 million people in USA, so here is your dollar, go and get a hamburger".

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 09:48 AM   #16
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Most economists seem to agree that if the money in the world was divided up equally that in 5 years time the same people would be rich and the same ones poor..

Of course they would, rich people aren't rich because they were born with money (even though most of them are), they are rich because they have the contacts and support of other rich/clever people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
York when a homeless man started shouting at him, "you rich people are selfish, why don't you give money away to others", Rockerfeller replied "well OK, I am worth 200 million dollars, and as it happens there are about 200 million people in USA, so here is your dollar, go and get a hamburger".

I doubt this ever happened, but that's not the point. No-one expects rich people to give away their whole fortune to millions of people equally. What would be nice however is if someone worth 115 billion, provided his staff with basic benefits like insurance. He wouldn't even notice the few hundred thousand it costs him, for the staff though it would be life changing.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/13/2...ers-jeff-bezos