SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-12, 09:55 PM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: IAM or ROSPA - Did the training but not the test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
keeping to the limits shows good speed and machine control
Does sitting behind a car at 58mph for 10 miles because to overtake it would stick you over the 60mph speed limit, show good speed and machine control?
Old 25-06-12, 10:40 PM   #22
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Bit contradictory.
over take the car and maybe exceed the limmit for 50 yards .Thats sparkle
Gun it out a corner so you wear the tyres and chain using more gas?
dull .
Old 25-06-12, 11:16 PM   #23
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
You do have to take away from it what you want to take away from it though.
You've taken away some valuable lessons that have helped your riding and have demonstrated that it's not all about belonging to an organisation or being a badge holder - job done and credit to you for being honest about it.
Old 26-06-12, 07:48 AM   #24
AndyBrad

It sounds to me more like " I've learned the limit point and safety stuff but I can't do the boring stuff that would make me an advanced rider" now I know exactly what your saying as I've been there and done it. It worked (I think) for me but the hardest part was doing the stuff you don't like.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 26-06-12, 08:59 AM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You've taken away some valuable lessons that have helped your riding and have demonstrated that it's not all about belonging to an organisation or being a badge holder - job done and credit to you for being honest about it.
Same as any system in anything, take away the bits of value you want for yourself, ignore the rest.

Whether you display the rest of the b*llocks for an hour or so to get yourself a shiny badge is a separate question.
Old 26-06-12, 09:11 AM   #26
Kilted Ginger

Speed limits. Are there to be observed. Its down to each individual to decide if breaking them (for any reason) is something the want or are prepared to do.
You overtake a car doing 58mph by speeding, you get caught you go to court. Police traffic officer "If you had to speed to complete the overtake then it was not a good overtake) End of, law of the land and all that.
Regarding sparkle, is it part of advanced / safer riding, NO. does it demonstrate you are following the guidelines and procedures of advanced riding in a way that make it easy for your observer / examiner to see. Yes

Its purely a tool to highlight what you are doing to enable the obs / ex to see it. I'm not suggesting for a second that you ride like that all the time. but your test is a demonstration of your abilities.

If you are demonstrating to your son how to cross the road you will exaggerate everything to ensure he sees and understands it. Neither you nor he will ever cross the road in that same way as it is only necessary to demonstrate how to cross the road. Same principle.
Old 26-06-12, 09:58 AM   #27
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You overtake and get caught speeding.
= you didnt have your eyes open.
Fail.
Old 27-06-12, 07:50 AM   #28
darylB

Ralph, it's entirely up to you wether you take the test or not, but what is there to lose? you've done the training so go for it. As to the overtaking a car doing 58mph while I cannot tell an associate to speed I would say if the car is holding up traffic, slow out of corners etc, if a quick overtake is possible a small leeway is allowed (ie 10%), then overtake as long as you then drop back down to the speed limit. This was confirmed as o.k by a local examiner and a National observer, both long serving police riders. If the overtake was considered dangerous in any way then a fail would follow, as would staying at excessive speeds. Moving your head is to mainly show the observer that good observing is being carried out as we can't see the eyes of the rider in front and if your bike has very good mirrors then unless you move your head we cant tell if mirror checks are being done or not, you obviously don't have to do this when out by yourself. Never heard of sparkle but we do expect people to use the acceleration of the bike out of corners, speed limits etc to show that good progress is made, (within reason), failure to make progress can result in marks being knocked down.

Daryl.

Daryl.
Old 27-06-12, 07:58 AM   #29
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylB View Post
As to the overtaking a car doing 58mph while I cannot tell an associate to speed I would say if the car is holding up traffic, slow out of corners etc, if a quick overtake is possible a small leeway is allowed (ie 10%), then overtake as long as you then drop back down to the speed limit.

Daryl.

Daryl.
Don't you think Poodeling past a car at+5 mph is just putting you self in a position of risk?
The driver may take it as a chalenge and then accelerate,Even worse swerver!
Old 27-06-12, 08:12 AM   #30
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Don't you think Poodeling past a car at+5 mph is just putting you self in a position of risk?
The driver may take it as a chalenge and then accelerate,Even worse swerver!
This is exactly what i dont get about advanced training and what puts me off tbh.

I want to be out on the wrong /opposite side of the road in the shortest time possible, fast acceleration then back down to speed limit is imo, much safer.