SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-06-12, 12:57 PM   #41
-Ralph-

Default Re: IAM or ROSPA - Did the training but not the test?

We should really compile a bullet point list, with max. 5-10 words per bullet, to describe every tool in the toolbox. Not intended to explain anything in any detail, not intended to be understood and implemented, only intended to summarise what it is that advanced training groups teach. ie: 'Advanced Positioning' is one bullet, 'Scan and Plan' could be another bullet, 'Use of Limit Points' could be another bullet point.

I reckon you could easily end up with a list of 20+ items that would help someone who doesn't know whether to do advanced training or not, understand what they would learn that they didn't learn on the DSA test, or haven't thought about since.
Old 27-06-12, 01:09 PM   #42
robh539

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylB View Post
Not being rude but what a load of tosh, we are not teaching you to just pass a test, but hopefully to take away skills that will make you a safer, smoother and more capable motorcyclist for the rest of your m/cycling days. I would never tell an associate to forget anything taught on the course. Obviously speed limits are up to the individual when riding away from the observer, wether they stick to them after is up to them. As to why we ride bikes capable of exceeding speed limits, what bikes nowadays aren't, we all ride bikes that we enjoy riding as does everybody else on the road, comfort, handling, acceleration, looks, everybody looks for different things in bikes, thats why there are so many to choose from, daft question really!

Daryl.
Yeah mate because I always ride around like a nodding dog so one bloke can see I am llooking into the mirrors. And trailing brake lights into restrictions even tho no one is following to show im slowing down there's a few others too. Why would I do these when not to past a test. you should know what's behind you.

Not really daft is it. do you brake the speed limit? If so by your own posts your not a save road user by the advance standard. hence why have a 100+ mph bike if ride an no more than 66mph to over take.
On this basis I agree with OP don't bother with test get the skill you want. Hence I ride with a group that don't eye with you mate but still get us the advanced status.
Each to there own I guess
Old 27-06-12, 02:47 PM   #43
darylB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh539 View Post
E

Yeah mate because I always ride around like a nodding dog so one bloke can see I am llooking into the mirrors. And trailing brake lights into restrictions even tho no one is following to show im slowing down there's a few others too. Why would I do these when not to past a test. you should know what's behind you.

Not really daft is it. do you brake the speed limit? If so by your own posts your not a save road user by the advance standard. hence why have a 100+ mph bike if ride an no more than 66mph to over take.
On this basis I agree with OP don't bother with test get the skill you want. Hence I ride with a group that don't eye with you mate but still get us the advanced status.
Each to there own I guess
Erm, have I said anywhere in my posts that I don't exceed the limits when I'm out on my own or in a group, nope, also have I said that we always expect brake lights when slowing down,nope, The official IAM stance to this is to use brake lights when necessary, nothing behind you, then you don't need to use them. Regarding being a nodding dog your response is so badly written I don't actually understand what your point is. The fact is that I am a Senior observer (IAM) equivalent to Gold Rospa) and have been assessed and passed as such by a National observer so how can you have the gaul to say I am not a safe rider. Reply to this post if you wish but I personally don't give a t*** what you say. If by chance you do reply please write it in english I can at least understand.

Daryl.

P.S. Sorry Ralph for this post, you obviously understand why we teach what we do and why, I wish you every success in your test.
Old 27-06-12, 03:05 PM   #44
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
We should really compile a bullet point list, with max. 5-10 words per bullet, to describe every tool in the toolbox. Not intended to explain anything in any detail, not intended to be understood and implemented, only intended to summarise what it is that advanced training groups teach. ie: 'Advanced Positioning' is one bullet, 'Scan and Plan' could be another bullet, 'Use of Limit Points' could be another bullet point.

I reckon you could easily end up with a list of 20+ items that would help someone who doesn't know whether to do advanced training or not, understand what they would learn that they didn't learn on the DSA test, or haven't thought about since.
That would be very useful, I'd be interested to see it if you could cook something up between you and some of the other advancedie people.

Also to spell it out to any newbies the simple fact that the DSA test is as much use in terms of safe and progressive riding as a case of nob rot. Help dispell any feeling of "oh sod doing another test that I'm going to ignore as soon as I've passed".
Old 27-06-12, 03:43 PM   #45
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
One thing that is very clear, is that every group has developed their own way of training associates, getting them through the test, and putting across what it is they are trying to teach.

There's also a counter argument for everything. Orose may say that you should be moving your head to look directly into the mirror, others may say it's sometimes advisable to trail the rear brake when slowing down, as the engine braking on some bikes can be more powerful than the vehicle behind is expecting.

Like I said earlier - toolbox - if you don't like a tool that's in there, don't use it. Trouble is, some of them you have to use to get through the test, whether you like them or not.
As with all humans, we interpret things different, advanced riding instructors are no different.

Btw, agree the bullet points thing could be useful
Old 27-06-12, 05:30 PM   #46
robh539

Daryl have Pm
Old 28-06-12, 03:38 PM   #47
dawn07

I got a lot from the IAM training but was never keen for my test.
A few of the trainers were too square for me, but most of the guys were interesting and keen to pass on their knowledge. As has been said, you just take away what you want from it Dx