SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-07-12, 09:15 AM   #1
missyburd

Default Good deed or stupid deed?

Yesterday, while out on the bike (on a road that's mostly double whites ) I got stuck behind a car that was stuck behind a scooter with L plates which was acting very strangely. The scooter's brakes were on constantly with hardly any let up around all the bends and as a result the back end was sliding all over the shop. He was doing about 40/45mph. Now this road is a fairly fluid and quick one so none of the bends are particularly sharp (in the section we were on anyway) so as soon as the scooter's back end fishtailed it could straighten up again...but it wasn't right at all. Once I eventually got past the car in front I decided I was going to try and chat to this bloke We'd just gone into a 40 limit, so I stayed behind knowing there was a long straight coming up in the national speed limit before I would have to turn off myself.

The scooter rider was hugging the kerb to let me pass but I drew up level with him instead and after a good 10 secs he finally noticed I was next to him waving like an idiot to pull over which he did straight away. I then had a chat with him and it turned out he'd had the scooter a week and not been riding long. I basically told him about braking and if he happened to hit a patch of manure or gravel it might end badly. Used the example of me doing it on my SV and how it would end very badly and that there was basically no need to use the brake all the time. Admittedly I've never ridden a scooter but I was pretty sure the principles were the same. He didn't seem to realise he was using it but his lights were on and something was causing the back end to wobble around like that. After I'd apologised for my eyes watering and him concernedly inquiring about how I was treating myself for it I said goodbye and beggared off.

Once I got home and had told YC he was rather worried that it could have been some chavvy imbecile who would have punched me for said actions but I would have expected the scooter rider to have wanted a race when a big bike draws up next to him, or have waved stupidly back at me, in which case I'd have pished off and left him. This bloke must have been able to tell something was up and acted accordingly. I could tell by the look of shock in his eyes when he saw me that he wasn't going to do owt lol. Besides which, he was about my build and foreign, I could have 'ad 'im

So. Good deed or bloody stupid thing to do? I can't say I really thought about the consequences of how the bloke might have reacted (in retrospect I really should have!), I was just compelled to let him know as he was a danger to other road users and of course himself

Last edited by missyburd; 25-07-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 25-07-12, 09:25 AM   #2
darylB

Default Re: Good deed or stupid deed?

Good deed, you might just have saved an accident, but how the hell did he pass his cbt, or hadn't he even taken it ?

Daryl.
Old 25-07-12, 09:55 AM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Good Deed TBH

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 10:24 AM   #4
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Good deed or stupid deed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post

I could have 'ad 'im

And you a married woman!

Good deed, you got him off the road briefly so that the traffic could move again. You are obviously nicer than me, I would got away as fast as possible to avoid being caught up in any accidents he caused!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 10:29 AM   #5
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Defo a good deed, it could save him, well done for being a better human being and caring

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 10:41 AM   #6
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
And you a married woman!

Good deed, you got him off the road briefly so that the traffic could move again. You are obviously nicer than me, I would got away as fast as possible to avoid being caught up in any accidents he caused!
Well, so one car could keep moving lol. He must have wondered what on earth I was doing!

And definitely not a married woman cheeky!
Old 25-07-12, 10:56 AM   #7
Aidan

My wife did her CBT a couple of years ago on a scooter and was told to always hold the brake on a little! So the brake light was always on and the engine was struggling against the brake! Sensibly, she ignored that advice.

Maybe he went to the same CBT place!
Old 25-07-12, 11:56 AM   #8
Balky001
Mega Poster

good deed dude(ette?)
Old 25-07-12, 11:58 AM   #9
femaleacid

That was a good thing to do! Im a new rider and if i was in that position and somebody helped me out like that, id be grateful.
Old 25-07-12, 12:03 PM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

I think if it's a kid on a scooter in broad daylight, you'll be fine. You made the right call. Had it been late at night, or the guy was riding like a *****, I would've said leave him to it!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote