SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-15, 05:37 PM   #11
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hypermotard 1100 Evo

I might be getting the wrong bike here so correct me if I'm wrong....(there have been so many new Ducati's recently I'm easily confused) but the only downside I found with the new Hypermotard was the seat now stops you sliding up towards the tank to get your weight over the front on the tight corners. You now sit "in" the seat rather than "on" it and it's pretty hard to vary the position.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-15, 05:46 PM   #12
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I'd love a play on one of those! I used to see one most mornings on the cross country, long way 'round commute to Stretford. Sounded glorious, looked great.

Hooligan fun times ahead Scoobs!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-15, 05:53 PM   #13
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Moved to Bike Talk. Thanks
Old 23-02-15, 09:37 PM   #14
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
the only downside I found with the new Hypermotard was the seat now stops you sliding up towards the tank to get your weight over the front on the tight corners. You now sit "in" the seat rather than "on" it and it's pretty hard to vary the position.
That's not something that I have noticed. Feels pretty easy to move around on the saddle. The only thing I've found odd is body positioning in a corner. Having ridden sports bikes for ever do I put my knee out or do I put my foot out moto x stylee?

http://http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/medium_1x_/public/import/page_element_images/122-1306-09-o%2B2013-ducati-hypermotard%2B.jpg?itok=hGf5Vxq4

Last edited by Scoobs; 23-02-15 at 09:41 PM.
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-15, 09:38 PM   #15
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
Hooligan fun times ahead Scoobs!

Pete
I think so too Pete

Old 23-02-15, 09:42 PM   #16
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Why are all these bikes so freaking high???
Old 24-02-15, 10:18 AM   #17
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Why are all these bikes so freaking high???
It's pretty much all suspension travel. 30mm more than my R1 and 35mm taller overall. What's 5mm between friends.

It's fine when you are riding but paddling it around when you are sat on the bike is a bit of a challenge.

Old 24-02-15, 10:18 AM   #18
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I always maintained that the smaller version of the Hypermotard was the better one.
The early versions of the 1100 like I had had terrible suspension. Used to dive on the brakes so much and if you hit a bump whist heavy braking it would lock the front wheel easily. Happened a couple of times to me when people pulled out on me.
Dry clutch was snatchy.

The 796 Hyper that was out at the same time as mine was loads better on that front. And the wet clutch was smooth as silk compared to the dry of its older bro.

I can't imagine what the newer versions are like as despite my uncomfortableness with the suspension mine was still a hoot to ride. I bought it to keep my speed down and it worked...it was fatiguing to ride above 100mph.
I sold it though as in the end I missed sports bikes too much. It also coincided with me needing to buy a house so I sold everything.

Nice bike scoobs...any pics?

The 899 panigale though...now that makes me want to put my leathers on again.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-15, 10:44 AM   #19
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I considered buying your 1100 when you had it up for sale but I couldn't scrape up the cash at the time. You got the Repsol 'blade after that if I remember correctly.

I may miss the sports bikes, but at the moment it's too early to tell. Not at the moment.

Not sure if you'll be able to see this pic as it's a link to my FB page. This is the day I got it. Crappy weather. Already added a Evotech rad guard and a set of CNC levers.

Last edited by Scoobs; 24-02-15 at 10:45 AM.
Old 24-02-15, 10:54 AM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
That's not something that I have noticed. Feels pretty easy to move around on the saddle. The only thing I've found odd is body positioning in a corner. Having ridden sports bikes for ever do I put my knee out or do I put my foot out moto x stylee?
It was at this years NEC show. I'd been looking forward to seeing the new Hypermotard so made straight for the Ducati stand and eventually managed to elbow enough people to one side to be able to get my leg over one....and all I can remember is a huge feeling of disappointment with the riding position. It put me in exactly the same position as I have on my SV with the same problem, I can't get my weight forward enough because of the tank.

With regard to leg in/out it all depends of the type of corner and the speeds. Basically anything that is going to be 1st, or maybe 2nd if it's wet or really loose, you want as much weight on the front wheel as possible and hanging a foot out on the inside by the front wheel spindle is a good way of doing it. It's not necessarily about "saving" the front if it lets go, if it does you do stand a small chance of dabbing it back but nothing like on a proper dirt bike, it's all about keeping the front end loaded as you turn in.

Here's a pic of what I mean on the SV taking a hairpin.

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote