SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-03-21, 10:31 AM   #71
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

North Wales police are still turning away people from the Midlands, Greater Manchester and even London from our beauty spots. People seem to think its OK to travel without a thought for the situation at their destination. Wales is still in lockdown. Crowds of people is asking for trouble, inside or out - I think the effects of last year's Cheltenham festival is testament to that.

Again its the wrong tone being set by the government. They're all "we're nearly through this, we'll open the pubs soon" instead of "the numbers are still higher than the end of lockdown #1, no change until the infection rates get down to those levels" - There are still more people being infected daily than at the peak of the first wave.....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 10:35 AM   #72
keith_d
Mega Poster

OK, I've had the Astra Zeneca vaccine according the card. That meant a sore shoulder and a day feeling slightly mouldy. No worse than the old Typhoid vaccinations.

Now we just have to wait and see if the Brazil/P.1 variant can out evolve the vaccine. For those people who are interested, there's a nice article from the lancet describing the resurgence of Covid in Manaus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

In an ideal world the second dose of vaccine would include the spike proteins from the E484K mutation, but I doubt any of the manufacturers will be able to get it approved and into production in the next 12 weeks.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 11:13 AM   #73
Seeker
Mega Poster

I'm not saying the government are slow to act...

...well, yes I am.

They were questioned about responses to Brazilian mutation almost 7 weeks ago.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/boris-john...163723306.html
Old 02-03-21, 06:11 PM   #74
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
North Wales police are still turning away people from the Midlands, Greater Manchester and even London from our beauty spots. People seem to think its OK to travel without a thought for the situation at their destination. Wales is still in lockdown. Crowds of people is asking for trouble, inside or out - I think the effects of last year's Cheltenham festival is testament to that.

Again its the wrong tone being set by the government. They're all "we're nearly through this, we'll open the pubs soon" instead of "the numbers are still higher than the end of lockdown #1, no change until the infection rates get down to those levels" - There are still more people being infected daily than at the peak of the first wave.....
With those figures i would say we are finding more cases now as we are testing more people, and there are also more symptoms recognised as Covid since a year ago.
So it's not a like for like comparison on true data for both circumstances.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:39 PM   #75
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'm not saying the government are slow to act...

...well, yes I am.

They were questioned about responses to Brazilian mutation almost 7 weeks ago.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/boris-john...163723306.html
I wondered a while ago, when they were showing people on tv waiting in airport lounges ,why so many people were still flying in and out of the country !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 09:43 PM   #76
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
The UK media would like us to think that EU countries have something "against" the UK, that we are picked on in some way, always useful to portray us as the plucky underdogs.
My experience of being in EU countries is that they are almost totally indifferent to the UK, we just don't feature on their radar most of the time. The national news in France or Germany or Austria scarcely ever even mentions the UK, and hasn't done in the 25 odd years I've spent any time there.
It's usually presented in our media as the UK vs EU, as though it's one to one. Germany for example has borders with 9 other countries, they spend every day working with "foreigners" from those countries coming in and out and it really isn't seen as much of a big deal. They saw the UK as one of 28 in the EU, not as one of one.
The Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine is developed by Turkish scientists working in Germany for a German/US combined effort and the doses are manufactured in Belgium. It's not an issue who and where. They really aren't bothered about stuff being made in the UK or Netherlands or wherever, but it appears the UK media like to think they are.
National news in EU countries must have been mentioning brexit during the years since the referendum !
ps Perhaps there should be a separate thread on here for EU related comments !
Old 03-03-21, 01:43 AM   #77
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
National news in EU countries must have been mentioning brexit during the years since the referendum !
ps Perhaps there should be a separate thread on here for EU related comments !
Of course, but not to anything like the extent UK media has, for obvious reasons. It has dominated our current affairs for 4 1/2 years, it hasn't dominated France's or Germany's etc. They have other problems of their own to deal with, stuff which is never mentioned in UK media, it's reciprocal.
Old 03-03-21, 09:52 PM   #78
svenrico

Quote:
Of course, but not to anything like the extent UK media has, for obvious reasons. It has dominated our current affairs for 4 1/2 years, it hasn't dominated France's or Germany's etc. They have other problems of their own to deal with, stuff which is never mentioned in UK media, it's reciprocal.
I suppose the UK is too preoccupied with American politics to bother much about European countries !
Old 03-03-21, 09:53 PM   #79
svenrico

Quote:
I suppose the UK is too preoccupied with American politics to bother much about European countries !
p s sorry, posted twice

Last edited by svenrico; 03-03-21 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 08:45 AM   #80
admin
John T
Mega Poster

We're drifting off topic again...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk