SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-12, 05:59 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Joining an advanced riding group?

Planning on joining an advanced riding group tomorrow (if they'll have me!). What sort of questions should I be asking to figure out if they are a good group, or if they are going to suit me? Thanks
Old 12-05-12, 06:06 PM   #2
SIII
Mega Poster

Default Re: Joining an advanced riding group

In a drag race from the lights, are they faster than a Lambo???
Old 12-05-12, 06:09 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do they seem like d*ckheads is the main thing!
Are they all on BMWs with alan partridge accents, or are there a decent mix of age and bikes etc.

Even if they're a "not speeding" group there's still lots you can learn from them, if they're not d*ckheads.
Old 12-05-12, 06:18 PM   #4
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Don't ask them to vote on your pole. It could be taken the wrong way!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:21 PM   #5
Kilted Ginger

When do they meet, where do they meet.
Costs, get a complete breakdown, Joining, membership, tests, Instructor / observer fuel costs., textbooks, Are you paired up start to finish or continual switching around
Average timescales for completion of course.
Duration of runs.
Methods of communication.
Like chris says get a feel for them, you no the drill, talk a little listen a lot, them develop an opinion.
eggs gran sucking...
but you did ask.
Old 12-05-12, 06:25 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Are they all on BMWs with alan partridge accents, or are there a decent mix of age and bikes etc.

Even if they're a "not speeding" group there's still lots you can learn from them, if they're not d*ckheads.
I'll echo that
I'm in a group that some (most i've met) are in in doubt flat out

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:32 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Thanks mate, granny suck eggs no problem theres a few things in there I hadnt thought of. Was also looking for insider tips on common things that show a good group or a bad group (no ideas what sort of things if there any or I wouldnt be asking), ie: ask them how they would handle this, how they would deal with that, things that have been raised as issues in your IAM training weekends, etc
Old 12-05-12, 06:34 PM   #8
robh539

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

HAHAHA my group are the complete opposite of this. There good buch with some very nice bikes and plenty of laughs. Of course as YC says not all groups maybe like this.

Go, listen, ride and listen. The hardest thing is to stick ot the speed limit and watching the group of advanced rider overtake and disappear from sight.

When i went dont for the assement ride/ free ride to see what it was about i didnt ask any. I listened to the no speeding bit and to watch in the mirrors for the signals at juctions. I want to see what they were like how they did things to judge for myself. I rode like i did all the time up too 60 mph.
I was impressed how easy it was, and they were happy with my riding. So i joined, but watching them on that ride i realised i had a lot to learn to be there standard.

Make no mistake there some of the quickest road riders ive seen and when they get going. Now laugh my nuts off when a 1lt power ranger comes scream past on straight then I catch then in the corners because they cant ride for sh!t and there holding us up.
There is a point and secret to riding at the limit that i worked out now it improved my riding at speed as i have said to you in the pub I still cant nail the ovetakes there way yet which is strange, as i do them in the car all the time then off for my test.

Have fun i think you will get it and enjoy it.
Old 12-05-12, 06:36 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Lozzo had a good one on that
Off to the search function

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:40 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You have useualy one or two members that do the instruction.And they generally have a sensible attitude.
At chanles we had a few Kn0b's in the group. Let them do there stuff you do yours.
You still get good stuff from it.