SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-06, 10:29 PM   #1
I'm_a_Newbie

Default My First Accident on my SV

Well I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. Today, on my way home from work I was rammed up the rear by some numpty who wasn't looking where she was going. Luckily I had just pulled away so I wasn't stationary otherwise it could have been worse.

It happned at the roundabout in Cosham where London Road meets Southampton Road. I was heading towards Cosham from North Harbour. The traffic was really busy, I had heard the Eastern road had been closed in both directions because of an accident. I manged to filter right up to the roundabout as the left of the 3 lanes was completly empty. I stopped and waited for cars already on the roundabout to clear. When I saw a gap I started to move, I looked left and saw that the Zebra crossing was holding up traffic blocking my exit (what a really stupid place to site a Zebra Crossing) so I stopped again. I waited a few seconds for the exit to clear, saw another gap on the roundabout started to move and then wham! She must have come down the left lane, looking right at the traffic on the roundabout and wham, didn't see me in front of her.

What gets me is not once did she ask if I was OK. I looked by bike over but could not see any obvious damage. When I asked for her details all she cared about was that I had said that there was not any damage and that how did she know I wasn't going to create some story and make false claims against her. I corrected her and said "No I said there is no obvious damage." I also added that I won't know for sure until I get to ride the bike and give it a thorough inpection.
Old 29-06-06, 10:33 PM   #2
I'm_a_Newbie

Can any of you guys let me know what damage to look for if this has happened to you. The bike seems to ride OK. It keeps a straight line, there does not seem to be any vibration or additional noise.

I think I may have been lucky this time, but I need to be sure in case I do have to make a claim.

Tim.
Old 29-06-06, 10:34 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Glad to hear you're OK!
My first impression is to charge her for a professional inspection of your bike and take her to the cleaners for her attitude!
But if there is no damage to your bike you are going to be better off not declaring an accident to your insurers even if it was not your fault. I'm sure they still load your premium
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-06, 10:36 PM   #4
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

call insures anyway- do it- not your fault..
register it with them.!!

then get it checked out at her expense mate- -

dont let them get away with it-

someone will do it to u one day

thats what insurance is there for..

and- as has been said- u need to report it to your insure to cover yer ass anyway
Old 29-06-06, 10:36 PM   #5
Abyss

Glad your alright. She sounds abit bitchy.

This is something I know nothing about, if someone does hit you what are you ment to do?! What are you ment to discuss? what details do you take?!

If someone hits you and you report it does that count as making a claim and loose your no claims?!

Meh its all new to me.
Old 29-06-06, 10:39 PM   #6
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Glad you were not injured and no apparent damage to bike. Her attitude sucked though.

Now Im someone that that usually can't be bothered with insurance companies if I can help it but that would get my goat. You might end up paying for every little scratch if you get funny with me after just ramming me up the back

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-06, 10:45 PM   #7
fraser01

Cosham was quite chocka with the fatal RTI on Eastern Road, i take it she did pass her details?

Sorry to hear about your off, lets hope the damage is nil or minimal.

Rich
Old 29-06-06, 10:52 PM   #8
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss
Glad your alright. She sounds abit bitchy.

This is something I know nothing about, if someone does hit you what are you ment to do?! What are you ment to discuss? what details do you take?!

If someone hits you and you report it does that count as making a claim and loose your no claims?!

Meh its all new to me.
If you are involved in an accident you must stop and give your name and home address to anybody who has grounds to need it. If someone is injured you must report the accident to the Police. This includes certain animals, but not all. Never admit fault at the scene of the accident. Ask witnesses for their details to help with any claim that you make. Make a note of the position of all vehicles involved, road signs and markings. If you have a camera with you take pictures to help your case.

A mate of mine was involved in an accident several years ago in his firms lorry. He stopped and gave his name, the name and address of his employer. It turns out the woman had a Policeman as a friend and it ended up with my mate getting done for failing to exchange details because he gave his employers address and not his own home address. He tried to play fair but got done for it. I know the Police have a job to do and at times it's not easy but is it any wonder they get no respect at times when they behave like this.

Tim
Old 29-06-06, 10:57 PM   #9
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
Cosham was quite chocka with the fatal RTI on Eastern Road, i take it she did pass her details?

Rich
Hi Fraser, yes she did give me her details, although she wasn't keen about it at first. I hope you are not offended by my comments in my reply to one of the other messages about the Police.

The speed limit of 70 on the Eastern Road is too high, especially where there is no barrier between the different sides of the carraigeway.

Tim
Old 29-06-06, 11:03 PM   #10
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_a_Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01

Rich
Hi Fraser, yes she did give me her details, although she wasn't keen about it at first. I hope you are not offended by my comments in my reply to one of the other messages about the Police.

The speed limit of 70 on the Eastern Road is too high, especially where there is no barrier between the differnt sides of the carraigeway.

Tim
Nope not offended, and yes limits are high on eastern road, the lanes are too narrow for a start..maybe a 50 limit would be better...there will always be accidents there though.

Rich