SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-01-06, 02:33 PM   #1
Daimo

Default Website design, domain buying etc...

Righty, im looking to create my own car website/club.

Im getting hold of Dreamweaver tonight from a friend. Was advised not to go for Frontpage as it creates loads on programming text. Do i need Dreamweaver though? The layour would be similar to this SV website, front welcoming page. Once u've gone through that, it'll have a static Frame on the left, with images/text etc on the actual web page. It'll have a forum also.

Basically, very very similar basic setup as this site, from the very begining page.

I am looking to buy a certain website name, but when I type the name in, nothing comes up at all, so im presuming the name hasn't been sold yet.

Who do I contact to purchase the name if no website pops up to sell it?

Can anyone offer any HTML advice or good Dreamweaver tips for a complete website design novice. I've got to the stage (using wooooweeee Notepad and HTML lol) of adding in my background image, Website name along with the little funky text in the top blue toolbar, but thats it so far. Im yet to change the colour, allignment etc.

Has anyone got any tips for me? The website will be hosted on my own home PC.
Old 18-01-06, 02:43 PM   #2
richbeales

ok, firstly, go to telivo.com and search the domain (top right hand corner), then you can go about registering it.

For a basic site design, Dreamweaver is overkill, and there are simpler tools around to design static sites.

PM me for more tips / help if you want it.
Old 18-01-06, 03:05 PM   #3
Gnan

i develop in C# and have built and worked on major e-commerce web apps for blue chips, etc.. in my time so if you want some help, let me know

for a forum i'd suggest you get phpBB (which is what this place runs on!)

dreamweaver is good - i'd get hold of visual studio 2005 express though, it's free and it is reasonably standards compliant.
Old 18-01-06, 03:06 PM   #4
Ping

Do it all in Flash!!!!

*dives for cover*

Old 18-01-06, 03:24 PM   #5
richbeales

Hi Gnan,

I'm also developing in C# for local government.

Daimo - what box are you thinking of hosting the site on? And how confident are you with PCs? Only saying this because you'll need to install IIS/Apache, PHP and MySQL to get a site with a phpBB forum up and running.

The price of hosting these days ($4 a month) it might be easier for you to get someone else do do it for you... Just a thought.
Old 18-01-06, 03:52 PM   #6
Gnan

work in london and the NW... would rather not say the company if you don't mind!

nothing worse than an all flash site imo...
Old 18-01-06, 04:03 PM   #7
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbeales
Hi Gnan,

I'm also developing in C# for local government.

Daimo - what box are you thinking of hosting the site on? And how confident are you with PCs? Only saying this because you'll need to install IIS/Apache, PHP and MySQL to get a site with a phpBB forum up and running.

The price of hosting these days ($4 a month) it might be easier for you to get someone else do do it for you... Just a thought.
It will be a home PC, at LEAST 256mb ram (morelike 1024 if i can afford it), large HDD etc.

WEll i work in IT, but i do support not programming. I'd rather do it myself as i want to learn how to create websites. Missis bought me the "Idiots Guide to Building a Website" which is coming in handy. I have lots of time so im no real rush, but i do want it to look professional, yet relaxed. I've got the site layout on paper, just need to convert it all into tinternet code using the Dreamweaver type software.

I've got a guy at work who has informed me about using the PHP forum software. tbh, it seems like a lot of work, but all the good car sites I use, use the PHP forum stuff.

Using the link above i've got the domain listed as £5 to buy. As said, i'll be hosting it on my own home PC.
Old 18-01-06, 04:15 PM   #8
Filipe M.

Minor question that it seems nobody asked until now... do you have fixed IP?
Old 18-01-06, 10:44 PM   #9
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Do it all in Flash!!!!

*dives for cover*

if u need a hand, drop me a pm, i think most of your questions have been answered already.
Old 19-01-06, 09:16 AM   #10
localhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnan
dreamweaver is good - i'd get hold of visual studio 2005 express though, it's free and it is reasonably standards compliant.
For the love of god NO!
What good is visual studio of any sort for someone who wants to do plain html?

Dreamweaver is the ultimate tool for html.

Visual studio is terrible for html.