SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-02-17, 06:59 PM   #1
ethariel

Question Medication and Riding

I'm a little confused regards some of the wording on diffenernt clumps of information so knowing there are several serving and other leagal(ish) eagles out there, I'm looking for a little info.

If I'm switched from oral pain meds to 'Transdermal Patches', can I still ride if I have NO side effects (Dizzyness, extreme nausea, vertigo etc) as it's a prescribed opiate rather than an illegal one? (In regards to drug riding).
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 07:24 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Medication and Riding

Think its down to the doctors and instructions from the maker of the drugs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 07:26 PM   #3
Talking Heads

In a nutshell, you need to take the advice of the prescribing doctor on this issue.
If the doc says you're OK to ride, ask for it in writing.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-driving-law
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 08:39 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
In a nutshell, you need to take the advice of the prescribing doctor on this issue.
If the doc says you're OK to ride, ask for it in writing.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-driving-law
Good advice is that you should carry a copy of prescription with you at all times when driving and riding, and any letter you have from your doctor

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 05:40 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The offence is being unfit through drink or drugs. The clue is in the name. If you have no effects then you are not going to be unfit. If however you are riding/driving all over the road (or involved in a crash) and the officer breath tests you with a negative result they are going to suspect drugs. They will then arrange for you to be promptly assessed by a doctor (i.e.: you get nicked) who will offer their opinion as to whether you may be under the influence of some drug and this, together with any other evidence (blood test, packet of prescription drugs found in your pocket etc etc) may justify a charge against you.

So in short the offence consists of two elements. One that you are unfit to drive/ride which means that your ability to drive is in some way impaired (so even a "little bit" is sufficient) and two, that the impairment was due to drugs. Just because your doctor says you're OK to drive that won't necessarily get you off if you are indeed impaired by them, (although it would be very good mitigation if it were true). This is because the police regularly get someone who is actually stoned out of their brain on something completely illegal claiming it must have been their prescription medicine that caused it.........

In reality no doctor is going to say it is OK to drive if the medicine can even remotely impair your ability, and the packet will have all sorts of warnings all over it.

Last edited by Red Herring; 08-02-17 at 05:41 PM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:40 AM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I decided to drive after 1 codeine. I felt ok. Then I filled my car with petrol at the fuel station half a mile from home. It's a diesel.

Decided probably I shouldn't drive that evening after all.
Old 09-02-17, 12:30 PM   #7
atassiedevil

My Mrs is on transdermal morphine patches and rides her EN500 to work and back every day with no issues.
It's down to how you feel and your degree of control as has been said.

5micrograms an hour isn't going to put you in a state that you won't be in control of your vehicle. Other stuff on top might.
Old 10-02-17, 08:40 AM   #8
Blapper

Interesting thread. I've had one of my three day migraines which I managed to beat into the background for my birthday with a cocktail of Migraleve, Ibuprophen and Paracetamol (lots). I drove too (I felt absolutely fine) but this thread makes me wonder if I would have shown up on a test as DUI.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 08:56 AM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If you have a halfway decent GP they provide you with a statement.
This and a copy of your prescription will need to be presented to the officer.
When you get retested this is then taken in to consideration.
Then you are discharged once you have been assessed as having no side effects of taking the meds.
Old 10-02-17, 11:29 AM   #10
Swin

I'm on prescription pain killers for my Ankylosing Spondylitis, I have access to Tramadol as required - I noticed the other day as I was picking up my prescription that they now tell you not to drive when taking these.
Personally, I've always felt quite dopey and dizzy when I take them, so if it's a bad back day and I'm on shift, it's the tube for me instead
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote