SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-05, 07:51 AM   #1
DrPain

Default oh to swap or not to swap that is the question..

Well i cant decide if i shoud sell the SV for a CBR600 sport. Ridden the CBR for a rew hours on friday, and once i got used to keeping the revs up it was a great bike, awesome brakes compared to the SV! So anyway after the ride i had decided to sell, ......until yesterday when i got back on the SV again...oh i love this bike as well!

So being my usual indecisive self i now cant choose! Do i go for a revvy 600 with a more 'big bike' look to it or keep my trusty litttle burbling 650. Gotta get the brakes sorted if i keep the SV though!

Actually, moving onto the brakes point - bike is 3 years old in Aug, 7600 miles. According to service book it will need brake fluid replacement at the next service. Does this usually improvce braking performance much? I seem to remeber they were ok when it was new, but now they dont seem to have so much power.....but that could just be me riding more aggressively. How about putting higher friction pads in (do they exist?), or how much will braided hoses set me back, and do they make much difference?

Any advice on any of the above points welcome
Old 24-04-05, 07:57 AM   #2
DrPain

ha ha replying to my own posts

Well i still undecided, but i was doing a bit of a search for braided hoses to find the cost. I presume i need 2 kits to do front and rear? Anyone reccommend makes and places to get them from. Only name i know is Goodridge.

martin
Old 24-04-05, 09:41 AM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

i fitted goodridge braided hoses, racing set up on mine (2 lines for the front and 1 for the back) and got ss banjos and nipples, cost £120. i think HEL do a set for the sv im pretty sure theyre cheaper than the goodridge one to. fit some EBC HH pads aswell it does make a difference to the sv. well it did on mine
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 10:05 AM   #4
DrPain

So is the original suzuki set up 3 lines or two lines at the front? (cant be bothered to go outside and look at the bike!). How long does it take to fit them (bike is booked in for a service in a couple of weeks so will maybe get it done then if i keeping it)

Do you think its the EBC HH pads or the new hoses which make most imrsovement?

Found these goodridge ones on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7970105761

If you paid 120, this seems like a good deal
Old 24-04-05, 10:08 AM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

yeah the suzuki uses 3 lines on th front. it took me about an hour all in to fit front and rear hoses that includes several t breaks
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 10:29 AM   #6
Warren

go for it . . . whats what i say. the CBR is a cracking bike
Old 24-04-05, 12:24 PM   #7
lynw

as someone whos had both... all be it for a short time... Id keep the SV... but thats me personally...

dont get me wrong, the CBR is a cracking bike, its just most of the fun on its in licence losing territory on the road. The SV is just such a big grin factor bike at low/midrange which the CBR lacks...

Sorry I just find the hondas lack the character of the SV.... but then Im nuts anyway but thats my opinion fwiw....
Old 24-04-05, 04:31 PM   #8
DrPain

ok so i made a decsion and though what the f**k i want a 4cyl sports bike, so i'm swapping it. I had another ride today and thought i would just get it, i mean i'll never know until i ride it for a season!!

Cheers for the brakes advice but i dont need it now

Give me a wave when you're all overtaking a CBR mid bend with your low down grunt...ha ha i'll catch you on the straights
Old 24-04-05, 05:36 PM   #9
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPain
ok so i made a decsion and though what the f**k i want a 4cyl sports bike, so i'm swapping it. I had another ride today and thought i would just get it, i mean i'll never know until i ride it for a season!!

Cheers for the brakes advice but i dont need it now

Give me a wave when you're all overtaking a CBR mid bend with your low down grunt...ha ha i'll catch you on the straights
yeah and we'll be thinking of you when youve lost your licence for a while

the thing about the CBR was Id be doing a ton ten and it just felt like it wanted to go faster... and Id still have 2 gears to go... I found it hard to slow down on it... Finally got to the point I could keep it at 90 on the motorway but it felt so bland because it wasnt in the powerband... there was no character to it below 8-9k revs... but hey thats just me...

enjoy the CBR...
Old 24-04-05, 06:37 PM   #10
goldengraemes

why dont u get a sv1000? just a though.my local dealer has k3's new though for £4700!!