SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Do you declare your mods?
Yes all mods are declared 14 50.00%
None of the mods are declared 14 50.00%
No performance enhancing mods are declared, visual mods (huggers/tail tidys/fenders) are declared 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-07-07, 07:12 AM   #1
Ollie_07

Default Insurance and modifications!

After ringing Bennetts yesterday and them saying i cant have a can on my bike as it will void my policy, and then reading one of the guys hasnt declared his mods on the other insurance thread, i was wondering who has covered their mods, and whether its all of the mods or just ones that dont increase performance... like huggers/tail tidys and the like?

Also if any of you guys are around 22 or 23 and have an SV Sport with mods(like a can etc), could you let me know who your covered with and what your premium is?
Old 24-07-07, 11:37 AM   #2
fat_brstd

Default Re: Insurance and modifications!

im 23 with a tl1000s and i pay 500 tp with 1yrs no claims with carole nash and i did have a claim last year (it settled 80/20 in my favour) I have told them its got a loud road legal can on it and thats it. in reality its also got a full ohlins suspension kit which if i declared i wouldnt be able to get insurance as well as a whole bunch of carbon fibre and blingy bits and bobs like new wheels, belly pan, digi gear indicator, braided hoses, 6 pot calipers etc.

When i had my sv i told them i had a road legal end can on it and they said it didnt affect my insurance. I actually had a race can which was marked not for road use and when there valuations guy came down to look at it after the crash he said it didnt matter and put it down as a non performance increasing mod. He also didnt care about the tank raisers and the bmc air filter. I think my insurance was something like 300 tpft with 4 yrs no claims at 22 with carole nash but im not 100%.

Remember a garage and living in the middle of nowhere drops your insurance quite a lot.
Old 24-07-07, 01:35 PM   #3
El Saxo

I'm a bit older at 26, but have just renewed with Express insurance for just under £400 FC, 2 yrs NCB, with 3 points & a fault accident (albeit in the car), SDP use incl commuting, garaged in brick garage, alarm & immobiliser fitted.

Express are the official suzuki insurers so definitely worth a look.

Voted all modes declared BTW.
Old 24-07-07, 01:41 PM   #4
plowsie

At renewal i shall tell them the mods on mine. Hoping not to have another accident for a while had too many tbh
Old 24-07-07, 02:42 PM   #5
jayjay

Just had a quote for my sv from wicked quotes, policy provided by equity star.

I gave them a list of all the mods and i just got a quote back of £79 tpft, im 32, bike kept in locked garage.

next cheapest was my current provider MCE at £100 also equity star,

last years policy with equity star through MCE was £120

I dont think i will be able to beat £79 what do you think?
Old 24-07-07, 02:56 PM   #6
600+

I have declared every single thing on mine and the list is a bit long - cosmetic mainly but still classed as mods.

paying £354 FC with 7 years NCB, I'm 25 and bike is not in a garage but in private land (as they class it)
Old 24-07-07, 02:58 PM   #7
Ollie_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Express are the official suzuki insurers so definitely worth a look.
I just tried a quote, and just from adding an exhaust as the only mod, they said unable to quote, please call....

Quote:
Just had a quote for my sv from wicked quotes, policy provided by equity star.

I gave them a list of all the mods and i just got a quote back of £79 tpft, im 32, bike kept in locked garage.
I hate you!
Old 24-07-07, 03:20 PM   #8
ASM-Forever

I presume this is your first bike/first big bike after passing your test, so its going to be unavoidable that you take a bit of a hit in your first year.....its all downhill after that. Expect to pay quite a large excess as well.

I am 21 and my insurance on the SV was circa £300 FC with Carole Nash. I did have 2 years of NCB though. Having written the SV off(non-fault accident) i have paid just over £100 to upgrade the policy to a 2005 R6.

The SV was pretty standard apart from sensible mods like a fender extender/hugger/lowers. I considered getting a new can and when i called CN to see how it would affect the premium, they said it would stay the same. I also looked at an Ohlins rear shock and they said it would not effect the premium but if i wrote the bike off they would only supply a standard shock.

It seems like you are getting quotes on the net which is good for preliminary, but you will find they are a lot more flexible with mods/price when you call instead.

Carole Nash may be a little more expensive, but with all the extras like overseas/legal cover, free breakdown(who actually turn up quickly!) and in my experience the best service by far they are well worth a look
Old 24-07-07, 05:46 PM   #9
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie_07 View Post
I just tried a quote, and just from adding an exhaust as the only mod, they said unable to quote, please call....
The website did that with me too. Cheapest quote by far though when I called them
Old 24-07-07, 07:53 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

I dont get the whole insurance thing, they just rip us off! N' then there is the fact that everything can be the same, age, bike, NCB, date of test passed, area etc but STILL i seem to get a ****ty quote!

Mine is FC with k5 SV650s down for 6000+ (unlimited) miles 2 year NCB and a couple of mods inc end can it comes to just over £700 with £650 excess, thats bennets for you... If i had have realised before id have gone for ebike.com!! Give it a try, they are so flexible and cheep!