SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-06-21, 11:40 AM   #5321
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

end of an era. i have had a VOIP phone (vonage) for over 15 years and its been great with great customer service. sadly i have cancelled the contract. good news is that the money pays for my mobile + £4 a month in my pocket.

removing the VOIP also frees up two plug sockets.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 09:27 PM   #5322
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Sad wee smile for me; I built a retaining wall in my garden - not massive about 10ftx7ft on a stepped foundation. I had a proper brickie round today and he noticed it and complimented it. Suggested me helping out on the job he's quoting for and knock any days saved off his rate which is just what I needed.

...hang on, maybe he's banking on days gained correcting my shoddy laying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
end of an era. i have had a VOIP phone (vonage) for over 15 years and its been great with great customer service. sadly i have cancelled the contract. good news is that the money pays for my mobile + £4 a month in my pocket.

removing the VOIP also frees up two plug sockets.

Is this because you love your smartphone so much bibs?!
Old 24-06-21, 08:04 AM   #5323
CheGuevara

I'm finding this really amusing this morning. I think it's the look on his face as he lands it (also maybe because he looks a bit like Danny McBride).

"Riding A Dirt Bike While In Zoom Class With A Green Screen Attached To His Back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lNaATnghJE
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 09:37 AM   #5324
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Haha that's great
Old 24-06-21, 10:45 AM   #5325
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Is this because you love your smartphone so much bibs?!
wouldnt say i love it, its a phone (and a superb music player) but apart from that i was just not using the VOPI even with my old dumb phone. i only kept it as there were people who knew the number and not my mobile.
Old 24-06-21, 08:05 PM   #5326
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
wouldnt say i love it, its a phone (and a superb music player) but apart from that i was just not using the VOPI even with my old dumb phone. i only kept it as there were people who knew the number and not my mobile.
I can't say I've ever had a landline, they will drop away soon. I remember someone telling me they only had a mobile phone in about 2000 and it blew my mind.
(Bet they were unpopular as it was the days of calling mobile phones being expensive per minute)
Old 02-07-21, 11:14 AM   #5327
Bibio
Mega Poster

i had a dumb moment while filling in some postage details for discogs. basically i forgot my street name and house number. the town, region, postcode and my name was all that was on the parcel.

i got it coz my postie is great.
Old 02-07-21, 11:49 AM   #5328
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
i had a dumb moment while filling in some postage details for discogs. basically i forgot my street name and house number. the town, region, postcode and my name was all that was on the parcel.

i got it coz my postie is great.

Unlike some foreign postcodes that cover thousands of houses, the genius UK postcode system ensures that every postcode only covers an average of 15 properties. It is accurate enough to use in a satnav without a house number. Even with just your surname and postcode, or just the postcode alone you should have got it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:01 PM   #5329
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I can't say I've ever had a landline, they will drop away soon. I remember someone telling me they only had a mobile phone in about 2000 and it blew my mind.
(Bet they were unpopular as it was the days of calling mobile phones being expensive per minute)

Most people still get their broadband from fibre to exchange providers, we had Virgin fibre to premises years ago ( about 2014 in our area ) but it was flaky and unreliable and expensive, we changed to PlusNet ( BT ) fibre to exchange after a few years and we get 60meg and it is 100% reliable, so we got a landline phone with anytime calls to mobile and landlines for very little extra cost.. it is still a lot cheaper than Virgin fibre and not much slower.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 09:46 PM   #5330
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have home and work voip lines from Sipgate that cost me nothing as I use them for incoming only. I also have a 3 line trunk that is £5/month. These days all 5 lines connect to a Pi running Raspbx. So IVR on home line so caller can direct to household members.

As well as sipphones in house/office, we all have softphones on mobiles. Meaning wherever we are, we get the calls to the house. With my wifes health issues it is important doctors/hospital can get to us irrespective of where we are.

I get a solid 650Mb from Virgin. But the aluminium BT line to the house will only give me 1Mb, So until FTTP oneday becomes a reality I guess it will have to always be Viirgin and sod the costs, (I also have a backup 4G router should Virgin ever go down, used one in the past 4 years, so will scrap that soon to save £25/month for the unlimited data sim)