SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-10, 06:29 PM   #1
shakie1973

Default starting problems

My 52 plate SVS had a new battery towards the back end of last year. I have a system 3, so it has always weakened the battery after a few weaks of standing, but lately it has been really bad. Loosing a charge within a week or so. Went to start it today and it was flat. I put the charger on it and within a couple of minutes it was showing a full charge. I tried starting it but it was just as flat. I even tried a second charger on it, and that showed the same. So its showing a full charge, but when i go to turn it over its flat as a fart...........any ideas and advice please guys.

Thanks
Old 09-05-10, 06:32 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: starting problems

is it turning over at all or are you just getting nothing in responce when you tryin start it?
Old 09-05-10, 06:33 PM   #3
bobbleheadbarne

battery is not holding charge, shows on charger full, but as battery is knackered is not charged at all, take it to halfords and they will check the battery for free
Old 09-05-10, 06:40 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

knackered battery by the sounds of it!
Has the bike stood over the winter by any chance without an optimizer on?
Shakey take it to hunters or the parts places as they normally have the testing kit and also save two trips if its kaput!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 06:49 PM   #5
shakie1973

If you mean does the bike sound as though it wants to start, no nothing. It just sounds as though the battery is flat as a fart, but the ligts don't look too weak to be honest. You can flick between dipped and full beam and see a level of diference. Cheers
Old 09-05-10, 07:16 PM   #6
Philbo

Leave it on charge overnight, it takes time to charge a bike battery with a bog standard charger, regardless of what the "guess-o-meters" on the front say. Unless you have a charger designed specifically for quick charging...

If it's been discharged for any length of time, you could be wasting your time though. Try charging it overnight and see how it is tomorrow.

P.S. I assume the lights dim drastically when you try to start the bike?

Last edited by Philbo; 09-05-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 07:34 PM   #7
shakie1973

Will leave it on charge overnight and see what happens. Yeah its stood over winter, but I had a new battery put on about november......so will be well ****ed if its kapoot . I bought a optimiser type from aldi. I didn't leave it on charge everyday though. I would start it every week or so then leave it on the charger. I take it that's not good enough. Ps the lights do dim when I try and start it.
Old 09-05-10, 07:53 PM   #8
Philbo

Yeh, sounds like a flat battery. I wouldn't start it at all if your only leaving it for a few weeks, or even months, it only drains the battery. I'm not aware of any mechanical need for periodic starting. Just leave the charger on, assuming the instructions say this is OK. Some cheaper chargers might not like being left switched on for weeks on end!

Some folk might advise draining petrol tanks and what not, but I've left my bikes parked up over winter since I started 6 years ago, and have had no issues starting & running them once the better weather arrives. Obviously it makes sense to give them the once over before that first post-winter spin!
Old 09-05-10, 10:30 PM   #9
mjc

see if you can jump start it, starter relay fault can sound similar to a totally flat battery.

p.s. if you jump it from a car, do it with the engine off

Last edited by mjc; 09-05-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 10:27 AM   #10
shakie1973

Just to let you know, trhe bike turned over no problem this morning, but my concern is what state the battery is in. How can I check what percentage is charged? I don't want to be out and have it fail. Its not giving me much confidence knowing it took15hrs to charge it having only been used a week or so ago. Do you think I will be bettee off replacing the battery, if not how do I know its got plenty life left?
Thanks