SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-17, 08:05 AM   #51
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of giving up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I do!

I also drive a massive BMW car and always move over to let bikes through when I'm on roads like the A1 going into London.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That's good

Thing is you are a,"Biker" and I'm the same inasmuch as I always pull in for motorcycles when I'm driving.

When I want to overtake I put my Right hand side indicator on and wait.If the car spots it many a good driver will pull in and I reckon many are or have been bikers
Old 09-06-17, 10:29 AM   #52
bikerbaker

I have a theory. I live in SE Essex and think that driver/rider courtesy improves travelling Northward.

I regularly ride up to North Yorks and prefer to keep away from the A1/M1, preferring instead to run up through Lincs, usually on the A15, to the Humber Bridge.

Does sometimes cause a problem as very often when travelling at 60 on the A15 the car in front makes an obvious move left to allow me to pass. As it would appear churlish to refuse I then nip past and drop a foot. Got a problem now as the car is usually doing 60 too and a bit close. Oh well a quick burst to get clear, sure I will miss one of the speed cameras one day (think they look both ways too - and no grid lines on the road either).

In general though I do feel that drivers today are more aware of bikes than they used to be in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I can remember complete journeys from London to Southend in the nearside lane of the A127 at 70mph.

Yup, I'm lucky to be alive!
bikerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:29 AM   #53
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
That's good

Thing is you are a,"Biker" and I'm the same inasmuch as I always pull in for motorcycles when I'm driving.

When I want to overtake I put my Right hand side indicator on and wait.If the car spots it many a good driver will pull in and I reckon many are or have been bikers

I make a judgment when in 'car driver mode' - if a biker (as seen in rear mirror ) has been riding sensibly (not overtaking stupidly in face of oncoming traffic and has been signalling properly) I will pull over, but if he is some nutter who has been getting bikers a bad name by annoying other road users and risking a trip to A&E I stay where I am, he can take his chance if he wants to get past.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:45 AM   #54
ophic
Mega Poster

As a rider I normally prefer it if the driver completely ignores me. I will pass when I'm ready.

Riding around London they can sometimes pull over and slow down to let me pass when I can't in fact pass safely, thus holding me up even more. Often a cyclist then appears meaning the car has to slow down more or suddenly pull out.

All I would ask is that they leave a gap between themselves and any islands or central reservations where possible.
Old 09-06-17, 01:17 PM   #55
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I make a judgment when in 'car driver mode' - if a biker (as seen in rear mirror ) has been riding sensibly (not overtaking stupidly in face of oncoming traffic and has been signalling properly) I will pull over, but if he is some nutter who has been getting bikers a bad name by annoying other road users and risking a trip to A&E I stay where I am, he can take his chance if he wants to get past.
If a nutter wants to go past they are more likely to put you in a risky position.
Keep calm and let them through when it's safe and relax for the next few seconds till another twaz appears.
Old 09-06-17, 02:19 PM   #56
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
As a rider I normally prefer it if the driver completely ignores me. I will pass when I'm ready.

Riding around London they can sometimes pull over and slow down to let me pass when I can't in fact pass safely, thus holding me up even more.
Me too - a lot of drivers round here will move left a few inches while maintaining their speed, which is fine. But like you, I find it REALLY annoying when they slow down while I'm waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic - even though they're doing it with good intentions.

My K6 has the headlights permanently on, and I'm not always sure this is a good thing. I think that a driver who hasn't looked in their mirror for a while can get a bit startled when they've got my twin headlights in view behind them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 02:24 PM   #57
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Me too - a lot of drivers round here will move left a few inches while maintaining their speed, which is fine. But like you, I find it REALLY annoying when they slow down while I'm waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic - even though they're doing it with good intentions.

My K6 has the headlights permanently on, and I'm not always sure this is a good thing. I think that a driver who hasn't looked in their mirror for a while can get a bit startled when they've got my twin headlights in view behind them.
Reckon it's better for driver to have seen you and be startled than not have seen you and do something silly - personally I am a great believer in bright lights.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 03:10 PM   #58
macamxthe1st

There are only two rules here :-

1) Ride as if you are invisible to all.

2) Those who can see you are going to try and kill you.

Good luck out there.

Geoff.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 09-06-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 03:33 PM   #59
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
There are only two rules here :-

1) Ride as if you are invisible to all.

2) Those who can see you are going to try and kill you.

Good luck out there.

Geoff.
People often quote this, and while I agree with the point it's trying to make, actually riding like this is impossible. You'd never get anywhere which would fundamentally defeat the objective of riding a motorcycle in heavy traffic, eg commuting.

There's always an element of risk which each rider mitigates to his/her own comfort level.

If every driver that saw us was actually trying to kill us, there'd be none of us left.
Old 09-06-17, 03:53 PM   #60
macamxthe1st

There is a significant dollop of tongue in cheek here.

Geoff.